Marine Plywood

BillP

Captain
Re: Marine Plywood

PW2,<br />Why do you say that is wrong? I got the info on 45 degree ply lamination directly out of a USPLY Corp booklet. What brand are you supervising?<br /><br />Bill P.

jmattor

Cadet

Bill is right on about the lamination direction. It is the same way glass is laid up. Different hull shapes call for different lay up formulas that specifically dictate the direction,weave, thickness, strands per inch, etc., of glass fabric depending on placement along the boat. Wood works much the same way.

crab bait

Captain

i was layin' back-in-the-cut hopin' for some back-up.. thanks BILLP.. now i'll return the favor.. <br /><br />i read the same thing in a US FORESTRY wood book..<br /><br />what brand name did you supervise PW2..?? an do you still work there..

PW2

Commander

APA gradestamped plywood under various product standards, including PS1-83 and 1-95.<br /><br />I suppose, although I have never heard of it, that US Plywood in the olden days (1960's or so or before) had a proprietary way of laminating it, but I cannot even imagine how they would have technically done it. US Plywood corp became Champion Intl back in the mid to late 70's or so, and there are no Champion mills that have made marine grade in many years.<br /><br />I should say that I refer to US Produced marine grade from west coast Douglas Fir mills under US product standards (PS 1-95). I guarantee that none of it is layed up at 45 deg angles.<br /><br />The vast majority of marine grade these days comes from SE Asian producers, or African veneers produced in various overseas producers, including Israel, I don't know how much of it is sold over here, but I have seen videos of many overseas mill operations, and toured mills in Europe and Japan. There is not a one of them that has the capability in any sort of productive fashion to lay up plywood in any manner other than a standard 90 degree orientation.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

I didn't read the pamphlet but I have used a couple 'o hundred sheets of marine ply over the years ranging in thickness from 1/8" to 3/4" and have yet to see any with 45degree laminations. That don't mean some of it isn't laid up that way, only that I havn't seen it yet. 2 weeks ago I bought 2 sheets of 3/4 marine at a local lumberyard...I din't look close at the laminations when I picked it up...so after cutting it up and finding voids like you would in AB ply, I took all the pieces back and sold it back to'em...got my 75 bucks back too...just a Thought

oregonducker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There are marine plywoods and then there are marine plywoods. And they aren't all doug fir. If you want some great information on all of it ckeck out the forums at www.woodenboat.com and look at these sites. www.boulterplywood.com www.edensaw.com <br />The stuff you might find labeled as "marine plywood" at your local lumber yard probably isn't what a professional wooden boatbuilder will be using.

PW2

Commander

If you paid $75 for two sheets of 3/4" marine grade, chances are they were calling something marine grade when it wasn't.<br />A sheet of simple 3/4" ABX has a wholesale price of nearly $50 a sheet.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

PW2...that was 75 bucks a sheet...and the stamp on the edge was smeared sos I couldn't read it...just a Thought<br /> :cool: