Marine carb vs. Automotive carb.

69GTOby

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Marine carb vs. Automotive carb.

www.aftermarketmarine.com They are great to deal with and are very knowledgable and the prices are very affordable.

Are you sure that is the correct link? It brings up a page that says "Aftermarketmarine.com" in pink at the top. Then below it are a bunch of links, like search results, some of them irrelevant, like "Advance Auto Parts." ??

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

......................... I have never been a fan of Qjets.

I heard this from a lot of people over the years, turns out, most all of them never took enough time to really get into the book and learn how to set up the carb properly.

Once dialed in the Q-jet is one of the greatest carbs built. The trick is understanding how it works, and setting the carb correctly for the application and motor that it is installed on.

It is NOT a Holley and about the only thing that is near the same on the two type of carbs is the idle speed set screw.

Both the Q-jet and the Holley are at the top of their respective classes, comparing them is like comparing apples to oranges.

riskibusiness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I heard this from a lot of people over the years, turns out, most all of them never took enough time to really get into the book and learn how to set up the carb properly.

Once dialed in the Q-jet is one of the greatest carbs built. The trick is understanding how it works, and setting the carb correctly for the application and motor that it is installed on.

It is NOT a Holley and about the only thing that is near the same on the two type of carbs is the idle speed set screw.

Both the Q-jet and the Holley are at the top of their respective classes, comparing them is like comparing apples to oranges.
top of its class!!! REALLY!!!! Did you say that with a straight face. There is a reason they are called Quadrajunk. I have set up every type of carb known to man and I would take a thermoquad or the Holley spreadbore replacement unit over any Quadrajet. Why do you think that Holley makes a direct replacement for that thing

achris

More fish than mountain goat

top of its class!!! REALLY!!!! Did you say that with a straight face. There is a reason they are called Quadrajunk. I have set up every type of carb known to man and I would take a thermoquad or the Holley spreadbore replacement unit over any Quadrajet. Why do you think that Holley makes a direct replacement for that thing

And why did Merc drop the holley after so very few years of using it? Boat fires, that's why! I'm with Charlie on this one. Delicate to set up but great once it's right.... holley in the trash ahead of a Q-jet any day, and the Q-jet in the trash ahead of a Weber, ahead of MPI....

Chris....

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

The hyperlink automatically comes up as soon as u type www. it's not fake I order from them every summer.Thier out of Florida try it if you want I had $50 wrapped up in a rebuild counting the carb dip.

Technorunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Im just gonna throw in a simple question here. This might be law regulated issue in the US. But why dont you go with a standalone MPI system thats fairly cheep and you get a huge MPG saving, almost no vapors (fire risk) and you dont have to bother anymore with those dinosaurs carbs. But as i started with, this might be law regulated.

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer

The hyperlink automatically comes up as soon as u type www. it's not fake I order from them every summer.Thier out of Florida try it if you want I had $50 wrapped up in a rebuild counting the carb dip.

thats becouse its saved in your addrease bar-if you have never gone to this site before you must use the correct link

69GTOby

Seaman Apprentice

That link worked, thank you! Looks like a decent site. I don't like the interface too well, and you'd think they'd be able to spell carburetor, but it seems okay. Good prices...

Fuel injection is a great idea. I love carbs, but not for out on the water where reliability, safety, fuel mileage, and power are all a priority! I know multi port is best, but it's darn expensive. TBI is much cheaper... That site has a rebuild kit for 26 bones, a very attractive price, but I wonder if it will include everything I need. This carb was spewing fuel such that it would smoke, and run with the mixture screws all the way in. 26 bucks vs 1500 bucks... http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/ixxocart/products/Chevrolet_Marine_TBI_System-29-44.html

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We used to run a hose from the one vent tube to the other, with a cut out under the middle. If the float would stick open, the fuel would pour into the middle of the carb. You will have to make sure the flame arrestor fits too, dont run it without one. The other thing I would do is make sure you replace the accelerator pumps, as they are under the float bowls, and if they leak, they will leak on the outside of the carb. Im not real sure about the spread bore holleys though. As far as running lean, the auto carbs are set up that way because of the pollution, so you may need to fatten it up some. Holleys are very basic carbs, and very easy to work on. I have heard other people likeing the edelbrock carbs for marine use too. Im sure there will be other opinons, and I may have missed something too. Goodluck.

The throttle shaft seals are different, also......

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I disagree with the "quadrajunk" comment.
The old q-jet is highly regarded in the off-road world because it is dirt simple to work on and continues to run at crazy lean angles. Its often reffered to as a "hillbilly fuel injection". No Holley even comes close to the angles this carb can run at.
So popular they are/were that finding good used examples in junk yards is next to impossible in some areas.
I'd rebuild that carb. I've done 100's of them and this is one easy carb to work on.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I disagree with the "quadrajunk" comment.
The old q-jet is highly regarded in the off-road world because it is dirt simple to work on and continues to run at crazy lean angles. Its often reffered to as a "hillbilly fuel injection". No Holley even comes close to the angles this carb can run at.
So popular they are/were that finding good used examples in junk yards is next to impossible in some areas.
I'd rebuild that carb. I've done 100's of them and this is one easy carb to work on.

I know we are straying off topic here but the Quadrajunk nick name i think comes from the WOT racing comunity. Holleys out number them 100 to 1. Holleys are much easier to tune...

I have tried numerous times to get a quadrajet carb to perform as well as a Holley in WOT situations. It will never happen!!

I have a friend who runs a performance Boat shop....Lots of boats in and out of there, mostly repairing outdrives. One thing you will never see there.... A Quadrajet carb
just sayin

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Stick with the q-jet, best carb you can have on a boat, I have rebuilt every make of carb out there ( in north america anyway ) holley spread bores are junk, I have spent hours playing with them and they will never perform like a q-jet. A few things to watch on your rebuild, replace the float,they soak up fuel when they get old, try to find a brass one. Replace the vacuume pot on the side, they get weak or leak . Seal the fuel well plugs with J B Weld or epoxy they can leak also but are easy to fix. Good luck with your rebuild.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

To be clear i was only offering a reason for the quadrajunk nickname.

I think the O/P should probably stick with the oem carb, as should most folks.

That being said, most folks who attempt to "rebuild" a carb don't have the best results. If you don't have a gallon of chemdip to soak it in and a good compressed air source all you are doing is changing soft parts.

+1 on the welch plugs
http://www.mre-books.com/quadrajet/carbrebuild.html

86 century

Ensign

If you know what you are doing all the carbs are good.

I have run Q jet marine carbs on off road trucks for years.
The rodchester 2jet works great on inline 6 jeeps

I will take a marine holly out on the water any day for the most part you can do anything to them with a screw driver.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I know we are straying off topic here but the Quadrajunk nick name i think comes from the WOT racing comunity. Holleys out number them 100 to 1. Holleys are much easier to tune...

I have tried numerous times to get a quadrajet carb to perform as well as a Holley in WOT situations. It will never happen!!

I have a friend who runs a performance Boat shop....Lots of boats in and out of there, mostly repairing outdrives. One thing you will never see there.... A Quadrajet carb
just sayin

The reason holleys are rejected in the off road world is lack of driveability at slow speeds. Plus they simply do not run at any lean angles. When your following a truck/truggy/buggy with a holley down the trail its going to be a long stinky day.
Its funny how carbs that are popular in one area are considered junk in another. I think they stopped making them but the Edelbrock q-jet was really popular a few years ago.

riskibusiness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

mercruiser stopped using the holley due to the fact they got a better contract with gm for the Rochester. Boat fires really??? Because hot rods just burst into flames from carbs all the time. Cut it out.

Bondo

Staff member

mercruiser stopped using the holley due to the fact they got a better contract with gm for the Rochester. Boat fires really??? Because hot rods just burst into flames from carbs all the time. Cut it out.

Ayuh,.... Mercruiser dropped the Ford motors, 'n the Holleys went with 'em....

Those are the only Holley carbs Mercruiser ever used, I believe.....

69GTOby

Seaman Apprentice

Do you mean MerCruiser only used Holleys on their Fords? I have seen Holleys on MerCruiser Chevys, I am pretty sure, from the factory. Not certain tho.

My Dad decided we need to get the boat out on the water ASAP, and I agree! So, we are going to buy a reman replacement, and eat the core charge. I want to rebuild this one and return it to the boat eventually. Can anyone recommend a good place for a good reman replacement?