Marina Slip Safe?

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have gotten an offer on a marina slip (first ever) and am wondering if it would be good. Location is Canada side of the St Lawerence River closer to Lake Ontario, and my boat has a 18 inch draft with engine up and 30 with it down. My LOA is 24.5ft with engine and then 8.5ft beam.

The slips is 25 by 9.5 and the depth at the inner part is 36 inches and outer is 39-48 inches.

I am thinking I would be safe but honestly don't know enough to tell either way. Should I take this slip or not?

airshot

Rear Admiral
How much and how often does the water level go up and down ? How good of a pilot are you ?? Only 6" on each side.....from all your dimensions it looks like a very tight fit to me !! Also check into your insurance, slipping normally costs more, Due to a better chance of theft.

SkaterRace

How much and how often does the water level go up and down ? How good of a pilot are you ?? Only 6" on each side.....from all your dimensions it looks like a very tight fit to me !! Also check into your insurance, slipping normally costs more, Due to a better chance of theft.
Water level up and down I've never really tracked a lot, I know year to year we can see 1-2ft difference but throughout the summer I'm not sure. Skill of driving is mid maybe? I've never backed into a slip before however the guy at the marina said it is for a boat up to 9.5ft beam which seems like being a foot under and also guessing on some wiggle room built into that I should be fine?

Insurance wise I am already good, mine includes everything needed I just have to notify them of it if staying more than 1 week somewhere.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I wouldn't take it.

Not worried about the water depth since I only draft 14".

My problem is the 6" of clearance......certainly do-able, but why?
Do you feel like threading the needle every time?

Cross ties?
How big are your bumpers, less than 6" is diameter?
Boat traffic close by to beat you on the bulkhead?

Had a friend that slipped his 50' on a dead end..... had to use a rope on the piling to turn the boat into the slip, but he was paying next for nothing for the slip.

briangcc

Commander
It's all going to be your comfort level of what it looks like and the traffic during the year.

Personally, I'd be really hesitant to do it having spent any number of summers up in the area. Wind whips up the white caps, idiot captains of cruisers/go-fast boats, and the water level depending on what's happening up stream could fluctuate a decent amount....remember the record flooding a few years back??

I'd be aiming for something in a protected bay/cove.

SkaterRace

I wouldn't take it.

Not worried about the water depth since I only draft 14".

My problem is the 6" of clearance......certainly do-able, but why?
Do you feel like threading the needle every time?

Cross ties?
How big are your bumpers, less than 6" is diameter?
Boat traffic close by to beat you on the bulkhead?

Had a friend that slipped his 50' on a dead end..... had to use a rope on the piling to turn the boat into the slip, but he was paying next for nothing for the slip.
I think I'd be okay with putting it in the slip since most around here seem to be either 9 or 9.5 wide for the 25 and under slips. Boat traffic would be really low maybe 1-2 boats a day down that ile since it is a yacht club with only about 100 slips total.

Bumpers are any size I want them to be, I am replacing this year since the current ones are very old. They are from a previous boat so pushing 10 years I've had them plus whatever life before me.

My slip would cost me about $600 CAD a year when comparable slips around here are going for $1800-2700 CAD depending on which town/marina/township residency you have.

SkaterRace

It's all going to be your comfort level of what it looks like and the traffic during the year.

Personally, I'd be really hesitant to do it having spent any number of summers up in the area. Wind whips up the white caps, idiot captains of cruisers/go-fast boats, and the water level depending on what's happening up stream could fluctuate a decent amount....remember the record flooding a few years back??

I'd be aiming for something in a protected bay/cove.
This is in a yacht club marina that has a very nice break wall and I'd be almost back to shore. Far as the protection factor it is better than the other marina I was looking at.

Traffic for the marina is low, probably 10 boats a day most days and 20 move on a weekend or race night. I'd guess max 4 a day past where I'd be because of the setup I am almost against the retaining wall at the shore end of the marina.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if my buddy can put his 48 foot, 14' wide boat in a 15' wide slip with a hand-held remote. almost anyone can put a 24' boat in a slip with the same clearance.

airshot

Rear Admiral
In the poster's description of the slip he mentioned 9.5 ft wide, then later stated it was for a boat with a 9.5' beam... Not gonna put a 9.5' beam boat in a 9.5' slip, without a shoe horn !! Better recheck his dimensions.

RGrew176

Commander
No, he stated his boat has an 8' 5" beam going into a 9' 5" slip. Boat will fit fine. Will be tight but IMO doable. It sounds like the slip is in a Yacht Club so that IMO would also be a good thing. I would have no problems going into that slip. I've been in tight slips before.

SkaterRace

In the poster's description of the slip he mentioned 9.5 ft wide, then later stated it was for a boat with a 9.5' beam... Not gonna put a 9.5' beam boat in a 9.5' slip, without a shoe horn !! Better recheck his dimensions.
I've not actually measured the slip myself the exact wording I got from the guy at the marina is "Slip #46 is spec'd for a maximum boat size of 25' X 9.5'" I think that means the slip is that big but maybe he gives some extra clearance on that, I am not too sure.

SkaterRace

No, he stated his boat has an 8' 5" beam going into a 9' 5" slip. Boat will fit fine. Will be tight but IMO doable. It sounds like the slip is in a Yacht Club so that IMO would also be a good thing. I would have no problems going into that slip. I've been in tight slips before.
Yeah the slip is at a local yacht club and probably the only slip I will get that cheap ever and also the only one I am close to the front of the waiting list on. The next closest waiting list is the municipal one and they are guessing 3-4 more years before a slip is available.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if the slip is for a 25 x 9.5 boat. then its about 27 x 10.5 or 11 ft wide

so your boat should fit in like Errol Flynn....

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You MUST have a lot of fenders tied TO THE dock edge permanently for windy or current running. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What divides you from the boat next to you ? Pilings ? Another dock edge ?

SkaterRace

You MUST have a lot of fenders tied TO THE dock edge permanently for windy or current running. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What divides you from the boat next to you ? Pilings ? Another dock edge ?
I'm planning on 3 fenders per side which is the max I can fit. On one side I'll have a dock finger and the other a boat however they fender up.

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
If tied correctly, the boat will not need any fenders hung. Just tie it up and adjust the lines to allow for the full tide swing.
I’ve had my boat in the same marina for 19 years without any issues, and this slip is at the open end of the marina adjacent to the ramp (very exposed to the weather).IMG_4710.jpeg

SkaterRace

If tied correctly, the boat will not need any fenders hung. Just tie it up and adjust the lines to allow for the full tide swing.
I’ve had my boat in the same marina for 19 years without any issues, and this slip is at the open end of the marina adjacent to the ramp (very exposed to the weather).View attachment 396163
If I was in one of the slips with pillings yeah that's good but I have a dock finger I am tying to on one side and the other is a stern line back to the main dock. I've got no choice but to fender up and make sure I am good