Manual tilt shock things...

jamminmaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Alright, its a 72 Johnson 100, without power trim. There are 2 big shock looking things in the mounting of the motor to the transom, kind of like the things that keep your trunk open on your car. I think they are / were supposed to make it easier to lift the motor? I think they are shot though, because they offer no help. i dont know what they are called to search for new ones. I dont know if they can be rebuilt, or charged or something? I have seen the power units available, but after the interior remodel, i dont want to spend anyomore coin. Any ideas on how to fix / replace these woudl be greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks

Laddies

Banned
Re: Manual tilt shock things...

They are shock absorbers in case you hit something at a higher speed but don't assist in tilting the engine

imstillatwork

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"They are shock absorbers in case you hit something at a higher speed but don't assist in tilting the engine"<br /><br />How does that help anything when the motor is physicaly latched to the transom / motot mount by the raise/lower lock lever? Something else is going to break first.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

The engine, on impact could very well break something, "like the gearcase" going up. But! if it does'nt, that propellor with 100 HP helping it along when it get's a grip back in the water going down could very well take the transom out of the boat. The shock absorber's are there to prevent this. "Hopefully"

imstillatwork

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ah. interesting. never heard or though of that, but makes alot of sense.

itstippy

Chief Petty Officer

Outboards get hard to tilt up and down over time because the "hinge" gets sticky. The old grease turns into sticky putty. There's usually a conical washer and a stubby heavy-duty spring thing inside the starbord side of the hinge, topped with a nut that you tighten or loosen to adjust the tilt tension. Loosen that nut and clean both sides of the "hinge" with degreaser. Foaming spray engine degreaser from any parts store/discount store/hardware store works fine and a toothbrush helps a lot. You want to emulsify that old sticky putty grease and get it out of there. Work the motor up and down repeatedly. Wash it all clean (clean! No residual degreaser!) and re-grease. Tighten the nut back a bit. Maybe you've already done all this but maybe some other reader hasn't.