Manifold & Riser choices

4 Reel

Seaman Apprentice
Looks like its time to do manifolds/Risers,(7 yrs salt H2O, original).I have a 1998 5.0 Mercruiser w/ 160 Hrs.I am leaning toward the aftermarket to save $$, does anyone have opinions/comments on manufacturer preferences, & has anyone had any experiences with the ceramic coated manifolds (http://www.perfprotech.com/home/marine-exhaust.htm). Thanks

AaronG

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Manifold & Riser choices

I did them on my 1997 5.7 LX last year. Easy job if nothing is in your way. Get yourself a set of new spark plugs while you are at it. Never easier to change them. Might want to make some long studs to thead into each head to hold the manifold while you install it. They are really heavy. <br /><br />I went with mercrusier stuff. It was only a little more expensive than aftermarket.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Basic power .com has what you need .GlM complete setup $439,free shipping and a 3 yr warranty.They also have Osco for $539.I got Osco for 1 of my motors a few years ago and I am going to try the GLM for the other.Seems to be about the best price around.Charlie

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

AaronG, what did you makeyour long studs from. i've done the job once, and have to do it again, the long studs would help support it, they are heavy.

AaronG

Petty Officer 1st Class

They were just long bolts I found at Home Depot. I ground the bolt head off, and then ground its stub round so the gasket and manifold would slide right over it. Really made it easy to put together. That manifold is really heavy. If you don't use the studs, at least get a helper to hold it for you while you bolt it on. I used thread sealant on all the bolts when I reassembled everything. After the manifolds and elbows were installed, I removed the rubber exhaust hoses and throughly cleaned all the scale off the inside of them where they clamp to the elbows. Then I used silicone grease on them to help them easily slide back on. If you have good access, this is a really easy job, easier than an oil change.

Any idea why Osco is more? I've read the GLM has has seperate exhaust runners for better flow and has a galvanized coating. One would think they would be more expensive. Anybody compared the two side by side? I need a set for my 5.7 and can't decide which ones yet.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have great access and i have the interior out. i remove and reinstalled my batwings by myself. now i'm replacing them , i wonder if a piece of wooden dowel rod would work just to stablize it. they are being delivered tonight by usp. ordered friday delivered wed. great service, Go 2 Marine.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

SR24S,I asked the guys at Basicpower that very question and the exact answer they gave me was"the GLM are made in China". :confused:

From this link you can read more about the GLM manifolds. http://www.glmmarine.com/manifolds/features.html <br />I think I'm leaning towards the GLM, who knows it could marketing hype, but more consistant tolerances on wall thickness and improved flow and cooling couldn't hurt,not to mention the price. I'm ok with China forging the manifolds from our iron and design. Just wondering if anybody has seen them side by side. Let us know how the wooden dowel trick works out.