Making custom ski hook/pylon on Tahoe deck boat need some input.

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I have a 21.5 foot 215 Tahoe and I'm wanting to make a custom ski hook/pylon rather than the current one is which looks like this:
http://media.channelblade.com/boat_g...80_image15.jpg

Problem I have with the current hook is the ropes tend to drag the water a bit. I used sky pylons before and it really helped with this. (I know not recommended, but never had any problems. Just need to slow down after someone comes off) So what I'm trying to do is custom machine a new pylon similar in design, but raised about 1-2ft. My concern is if I could get away with adding a thick oversized backing plate behind it or would it be better to add legs in front of it like a pylon?

My idea was to copy the screw hole design, but add one more right below the two and add a oversized backing plate behind the ski hook. My concern obviously is will this be able to handle the load (really no more than 2 tubers)? I know before the hook is just using small washer so I figure this would be plenty even considering it's raising about 2 ft higher.

Also an aftermarket sky pylon seems to be off the list I can't get under the swim platform to add the nutts/washers it's foam sealed back there and I doubt I could get my hand in even if it wasn't.

Any suggestions/tips?

Thanks!

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
If it is just for tubing then et one of those inflatable balls that goes between boat and tube so rope doesn't drag. Tubing off a pylon is dumb and dangerous.

jbcurt00

Staff member
And even a foot of added 'lever arm ' will drastically change the stress on the attachments.

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah I have those and they are just a big hassle. Never had any issues before (and with a much smaller boat) and not like I'm going the height of a typical pylon or wake tower.

If it is just for tubing then et one of those inflatable balls that goes between boat and tube so rope doesn't drag. Tubing off a pylon is dumb and dangerous.

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah figured so. So might be best to weld arms to the pole at a angle to the swim platform to offset the added stress?

And even a foot of added 'lever arm ' will drastically change the stress on the attachments.