Make my own steering console

New here and have a question about making a steering setup for my boat. First my boat is a 14 ft. v-bottom with a 5.5 Evinrude Fisherman Now here is what i'm thinking I would like to make something where I could run my boat without reaching behind me. My boat is to narrow and short to make some sort of console to mount steering as this would take up to much of my fishing gear place unless I mount it to the side some how? Has anybody ever made something for your own or know where I can get some ideas to build one? Thanks for any Info.

D

DJ

Re: Make my own steering console

Crash,<br /><br />By the way, I may have some remnants of the aluminum consoles that I took out. You are welcome to them. They can be taken apart for shipping.

Thanks for the info. The stick steering sounds like what I was thinking I could leave my seat in the center and mount the controls on my right. Brother has old seastar with steering console it was cable maybe I'll see what I can use off there.

MoRambler

Cadet

djohns19-I was also looking for something like this in the way of a console. If Crash isn't interested in what you've got left of your consold, I would be. I've been trying to find a boat salvage yard that may have a console. I've got a 16' Lowe boat that I just bought, and also wanted to add a console steering. <br />BTW, that is a really good looking console you made for your boat. Great job on the refurbishing.

Thanks for offering console parts but don't think I will be able to use them.

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class

hi
nice work on the console. i'm in the process of putting one in a 1987 Tuffy Custom Rogue. what did you use under the carpet? wood, fiberglass or polymer? i plan to use it in saltwater so carpet isn't really an option. did you put the console back in it's original location? i'm trying to decide how far foward to place it.
crash murdock i saw some stick steering systems for sale on ebay this week.
MoRambler have you found any salvage yards with console's i've been looking also

i386

Captain

Stick steering is a good option for a small boat like others have said.

You mentioned reaching behind you. Can we assume you have a tiller? If that is the case, make sure your engine accepts all the control connections for your intended setup. If so, factor in a control box and cables too.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

ez-guide stick steering, goes on the port side of the boat, motor remote on the starboard. this was my 3rd boat with this set up. again make sure you can get the remote adapter kit for your motor.

http://www.shootnhunt.com/catalog/JM/boat_controls_and_steering/ezy_glide/index.html

you may need the connection kit in the link. also the side mount adapter is sold much cheaper in the iboats store.

this is a 14' Lonestar, with 1955 15hp rude.

MVC-733S.jpg

MVC-737S.jpg

5515hp-1.jpg

MVC-905S.jpg

962e81eb.jpg

I have a Tracker Grizzly 16 foot alum. boat with tiller stearing and would like to install either center or side console for steering. can you help with a make it yourself design or heapful infomation. Do not have lots of money!

Pat Cooper

Basslife

Recruit

ez-guide stick steering, goes on the port side of the boat, motor remote on the starboard. this was my 3rd boat with this set up. again make sure you can get the remote adapter kit for your motor.

http://www.shootnhunt.com/catalog/JM/boat_controls_and_steering/ezy_glide/index.html

you may need the connection kit in the link. also the side mount adapter is sold much cheaper in the iboats store.

this is a 14' Lonestar, with 1955 15hp rude.

MVC-733S.jpg

MVC-737S.jpg

5515hp-1.jpg

MVC-905S.jpg

962e81eb.jpg

How do you like the lever steering? Is it hard to get used to steering the boat with a lever instead of a wheel? I just purchased one and have never tried it. Looking forward to hearing from you.

wbe

Recruit

Hi wbe. Welcome to iboats. This is an old thread. We try to let them be. Here's a handy link that may help with your steering. You may also want to consider a PVC tiller extender.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/columns/max/04/part1.htm

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/columns/max/05/part2.htm

View attachment 165352View attachment 165353

Thanks, but i dont have a problem with my steering, i just want a bigger console for my jon boat, it doesn't have the room for any switches or gauges, so i want to make a new one.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you start your own thread I'm sure you'll get LOTS of help from the members. Resurrecting old threads is going against Forum policies.