make a test tank for large outboards cheap!

clearwatguy

Seaman
was tired of having to drive to the lake to test repairs or to set timing or anything that requires throttle speeds you don't dare run on the muffs. of course my 125 horse evinrude wont fit in a 55 gallon drum. i bought a used plastic storage barrel from a local hardware store for 15 dollars. layed it on its side and used a jig saw to cut an access way to drop the motor in. the drain cap was already threaded to accept a standard garden hose raise the outboard, slide the drum under it drop the motor in just till it hits the bottom. turn on the hose fill it up and let it trickle to replenish what little splashes out it works perfectly. when your done unhook the garden hose from the faucet and drain it down your shop drain or in a ditch to keep the nasty exhaust water off your drive way!

Attachments

• IMG00225-20100719-1916.jpg
    IMG00225-20100719-1916.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG00226-20100719-1917.jpg
    IMG00226-20100719-1917.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG00229-20100719-2004.jpg
    IMG00229-20100719-2004.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 29

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: make a test tank for large outboards cheap!

Awesome! What a great idea!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

great idea. also keep it around for a live bait holder; the round sides are easier on the fish. Just add an aerator.

I get tired of having soggy feet working on a motor on muffs.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

great idea.
been tried by some of the backyadigans here in the past 10 years or so.
makes me a lot of money :) :)
my advice everyone should spool up their outboards in a tiny tank with a lot of turbulance causing the water pump to cavitate then when it quits support your local tech, they need to eat too.
dumbest thing I ever saw actually.
but yall go on, Ill see ya eventually.

btruong

Seaman

can someone explain to me how this would be a bad idea? it seems really creative to me. i want to use it with a 40hp btw.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Third pic on the original post clearly shows a nice pee stream.

Are there posts of anyone having problems burning out impellers with a setup like this?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if the tank is large enough and properly baffeled you might get away with it on a 40.
however with a standard prop it will overload the motor making most tests worthless.
can be done with the correct test wheel and a large enough properly baffled tank.
and a 40 isnt a large outboard.

nash1970

Seaman Apprentice

I like it for doing little test it's great .

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Agreed, for quick tests and smaller motors sounds like a good idea. Any larger outboard put in a barrel and run with the prop on, instead of a test wheel/prop, is going to empty the barrel in short order even if the water hose is running. For that, you might consider a small-medium livestock water tank with a baffled top to keep water in. I'm working on a hydraulic motor stand on wheels that I can use as a storage rack in the shop, but wheel it out for motor tank tests and adjust the height to accomodate the lengths of different legs/shafts...I use a medium sized plastic trash can with a drain hole in the bottom as a test tank/tub.

Woodbinekeith

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I use the same type of barrel for my 30hp - only cut down the top so it would still be high enough to cover the cavitation plate. It works ok for a short test and this size of motor - just to make sure the electrics are working and the motor is starting idling properly. In gear there is some splashing but I don't rev the motor up much. After filling the barrel, getting the water out takes a bit of time - one gallon at a time - but for once a season, it seems to work. I bought an inexpensive rotary pump that is driven with a drill but haven't tried it yet.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Why not drill a drain hole wherever you want it, and plug it with a livewell plug? Makes draining quick and easy.

reelfishin

Captain

I used to have an old poly fuel tank that I cut out like that. It was one of those built to fit in a pickup bed. When I cut the opening to fit the lower unit, I cut down the middle, and folded the sides up to help retain more of the water when it was running. I had two straps on either side which I would secure to the boat's tie down hooks so if I put it in gear the boat couldn't try to push away from the tank. I had three hose fittings on it so I could keep it filled with fresh, clean water, two were hooked to a water supply, the third was a running drain that would drain off water from the upper part of the tank into the sewer. This kept the water from getting too oily.
I graduated from that to a full size test tank now that came from a closed dealer, it's on wheels and holds 400 gallons of water. I can either roll it up to a boat or mount the motor right to the side of it. The nice part about the test tank is that it's got an overhead hood and duct which sucks fumes out of the building too. I no longer have to be outside in the hot sun or freezing cold to work on a motor. It originally had an attached hydraulic lift but it wouldn't fit where I needed to put it in the garage with that on it. I simply use an overhead beam and chain hoist to pickup the bigger motors.

Basshole78

Recruit

AWESOME! Just what I am looking for.

Now I just need to figure out how to move my boat off my trailer at the house, so I can make repairs to the trailer, and have it inspected.