Made a noob mistake, need to repair!

TBGixxer

Seaman Apprentice
I've searched the forums and found some good info on gel coat repair and other topics but need clarification for my situation. The back of my boat caught the dock and had some damage done. The fiberglass is exposed so I'm not sure if this is going to just be a gel coat repair or something else. Here are a couple pics, thanks in advance for any advice!

Attachments

• dmg1.jpg
    dmg1.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 0
  • dmg2.jpg
    dmg2.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 0

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Made a noob mistake, need to repair!

Maybe its just the light, but it looks like the gel coat chipped off exposing some mat, but also that there is areas with no mat, so the hole is clear through. Is that right? Can you stick a pencil right through the damaged area to inside the boat? If so, then some more CSM will have to be applied from behind, then sand the outside smooth, and then gel coat can be built up on top until thick enough to sand down and polish.

BTW, what brand boat is this?

TBGixxer

Seaman Apprentice

Nope, can't stick a pencil through. It's solid, just a dark color under the gel coat. It's a seadoo challenger. Is white a hard color to match and is repairing gel coat difficult? Not sure if I should attempt my own repair or take it somewhere.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

This repair requires experience with mixing and applying resins, and also fine sanding and polishing. If you have ever done any auto body work, you are good to go. Otherwise, if you don't feel comfortable and don't have the tools, seek out a professional.

Color match is often as good as the technician doing the job, especially if he is mixing tints to match the original color. Color match is generally better if the gel coat is available from the (Sea Doo) dealers parts department.

TBGixxer

Seaman Apprentice

Just wanted to update... found a guy who came to my house to do the repair. He fixed that damage pictured above and also removed some black marks/scrapes on the transom as well. He charged $225.00. For the next time I hit a dock... you think $225 is a fair price for the repair (remember he actually came to me to do the repair)? Here's a pic of the repair, I would never tell it was damaged!

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 0

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well worth the money!!!! Looks like a professional repair.