Mac Virus/Spyware Question

timfromfc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am a heavy Windows user and know it very well. I bought a Mac Mini about 3 months ago and find it to be VASTLY superior to Windows. Because of my Windows mentality, I'm concerned about spyware/adware and viruses. Are there any Mac users who can tell me if my concerns real, or not? If real, are there any good programs out there?

skeeterboy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mac Virus/Spyware Question

Well congrats on buying the ONLY computer out there! Yes macs are superior to windows. Ive been running apple/macs for 10 years or more since the 2E and SE when that first came out. Try norton utilities, but ive never EVER had a virus with a mac cause no one wastes time pinging a mac since there are so few out there. Other than that just have a firewall and you should be alright. Have fun with the mini its pretty sweet TINY machine. Im lookin at the new dual G5 2.7 :D , but my buddy just got the mini and he WAS a windows user :D

timfromfc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, I will give it a try. I do have a firewall and all web and sharing services are turned off in my OS. I am so conditioned to needing added security because Windows is so full of holes. Hope you get your G5, BTW.

skeeterboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

yea if you use safari and NOT internet explorer you will be fine for browsing.

timfromfc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I mostly use Safari, and sometimes Firefox and Camino. IE is terrible. I don't even use it on my Windows machines.

skeeterboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good idea yea firefox is pretty good 2. Far superior than IE and netscape.

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

hey I am a fully certified Apple techo and have been for over 10years you can laugh at any Windows users when another virus or worm hits the scene and just keep on using and enjoying your new imac

timfromfc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm definitely hooked. It continually floors me by how stable it is. I take it in and out of sleep mode at least 10 times a day and it almost never requires a reboot. That is unthinkable in Windows.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Have an ibook g4. Was absolutely paranoid when I got it a year ago.<br /><br />Norton's internet security really is a pain to use, I disabled it.<br />It slowed things down, blocked me from sites I had just visited the day before.<br /><br />Still using the Norton Anti virus software so that I can clean up any emails before I forward them to any of my pc using friends.<br />OS X built in firewall and pop up blocker catches 99% of what is out there.

timfromfc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you use the default OS X firewall settings or make changes?