Lube on new impeller

87 criscraft

Cadet
I put a very thin smear of Vaseline on a new impeller,when I replaced it.is that ok? It will sit all winter.thanks for your help.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Some oils and greases aren't good for long term contact with rubber. I don't know about Vaseline and rubber compatibility. Cab you run the motor for a short time on muffs to wash the Vaseline away?

The impeller doesn't need any lubrication, water flow is all the lube it needs.

87 criscraft

Cadet
The boat is in storage for the winter.(northern curse,for boaters) lol. I took the drive off so I could replace the impeller.my first time,so I was following videos they used grease but I thought Vaseline might be safer.

GA_Boater

I don't know why anyone greases the impeller or tells others to grease it.. It lasts about one revolution after start-up and there is no long term protection.

Anyway, yours is Vaselined and hopefully it will be OK. In the Spring keep a close eye on the motor temp, just in case.

Dshow

Petty Officer 1st Class
Next time, you can you dish soap as lube and it washes right away...

87 criscraft

Cadet
Thank you,sir.i appreciate your help.would you recommend replacing it?just in case? Gaboater and dshow.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

I wouldn't. It may have a shorter life. Are you planning on removing the drive for winter storage next year? If yes, just replace it next year. Normally the impeller is replaced every two years anyway for reliable operation.

87 criscraft

Cadet
Yes I will pull it every year.are the impellers poor quality? Do you know if they are synthetic?

GA_Boater

Water has a lot of grit, sand and other solids which wear the impeller, along with the wear plate and cup,. I have no idea what actual material is used.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I would bet that vaseline, which is a petroleum lubricant, would have pretty much exactly the same effect on the rubber impeller as a teensy bit of grease. Which is not much. Water is the lubricant for rubber. Why tires cut on rocks so easy going through a creek.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Don't know what Merc says but in my OMC Cobra shop manual they actually tell you to lube it with gear oil. What I do for the first start of the season, is hook up the muffs (water off) then disconnect the raw water intake hose at the thermo housing. I then pour enough water in that hose, that it will fill the hose and impeller housing. Then turn on the water. This prevents a dry start after sitting over the winter, which seems to be what you are trying to accomplish.

GA_Boater

If you muff it with hose water pressure or dunk it in the lake, it's water lubed. No dry start if the pump has water in it either way.

My only concern is using Vaseline which may not be good with impeller rubber. May be overly cautious, but it's a done deal and I wouldn't do anything with it now.

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Its fine IMO, sleep well and think of something else to worry about.

87 criscraft

Cadet
Its fine IMO, sleep well and think of something else to worry about.
funny you should say that. Worrying about this has kept up at night. I bought the boat 2 months ago,my first boat,and I love it! But I'm sure you guys know the feeling

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay, Vaseline will not harm the rubber. If you ever built a transmission, they actually recommend using Vaseline on ALL the "O" rings and piston seals as well. And I'll let you guess what they are made out of. It helps make the transmission start up and work without wear. So forget about any harm coming to your water impellor lubed up with Vaseline, and think sweet dreams about boating instead. JMHO!

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Just make sure you drain your block completely and you should have a good boating season next year!