Lowrance Lms-350a ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaBoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought an older model Lms-350a and everything works. Has anyone had any experience with this model and are there any issues I need to know about? I have read the manual. Is it better to mount with the transducer down on the hull or at the back with a transducer. I have a 86 Searay 26' Sundancer.

CR CRUISER

Seaman
Re: Lowrance Lms-350a ????

I sell and install marine electronics and have found that the depth sounder portion of the LMS-350A is the best performing sounder ever. I've had them keeping track of the bottom at 1000'+ at 30MPH.
Unfortunetly, there has been no service or parts available for the unit for a few years now.

GaBoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply. A buddy gave this one and it looks brand new and not used. I plan to use it and see what happens. I will probably have some more questions I need answered. Thaks again.

GaBoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Which transducer were you using with the 350a and where did you mount it?

Huron Angler

Admiral

I've been using this older Lowrance X-20A and I've been very happy with it. The fact that it's a dimly lit black & white screen means less juice to run it so I like that. Accuracy is top-notch and it marks fish as good as my brand new Humminbird.

Haven't used it at high speeds yet but I will when it warms up around here:D

DSCF3609.jpg

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've been using this older Lowrance X-20A and I've been very happy with it. The fact that it's a dimly lit black & white screen means less juice to run it so I like that. Accuracy is top-notch and it marks fish as good as my brand new Humminbird.

Haven't used it at high speeds yet but I will when it warms up around here:D

DSCF3609.jpg

These older Lowrances were great units. I had a 1998 x75 I wish I kept. I upgraded to a new color Lowrance and had nothing but trouble with it due to software.
My x75 was flawless for the eight years I had it.
All the Lowrance products during this period of time were great.
Now days I`d go Humminbird.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

These older Lowrances were great units. I had a 1998 x75 I wish I kept. I upgraded to a new color Lowrance and had nothing but trouble with it due to software.
My x75 was flawless for the eight years I had it.
All the Lowrance products during this period of time were great.
Now days I`d go Humminbird.

I'm a die hard Lowrance user. Can you upgrade your software? Lowrance is constantly putting out upgrades for their units.

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm a die hard Lowrance user. Can you upgrade your software? Lowrance is constantly putting out upgrades for their units.

Yes, I tried twice to resolve a shallow water problem. Sent unit to Lowrance twice for up grades and one transducer replacement.
to no avail
I`ve since replaced the 510c I had, with a Vexilar EdgeII.

The Vexilar is nice. In the end though I had a great x75 that was flawless in all water conditions for the eight years I had it.

The new Lowrance products are far more advanced than these vintage products, but in my own opinion they don`t work nearly as good.

I still like the looks of lowrance products. The best on the display rack.
Shame I just don`t trust them anymore.
Customer service is lacking and many others having problems as I did.

I will say any of you guys that have these old gems, hang on to them, I wish I still had mine.

bigfish2

Cadet

I have an old Lowrance LMS-350A, that I acquired with my Crestliner Eagle, "off button" , or alarms do not work, and I really do not like th "track back' function. Anybody want to buy it?...just let me know. I'm going to upgrade to a color GPS, sonar, chartplotter. I have been reading about the Lowrance HDS series, but the verdict is out on that one.

Anybody have suggestions? i have also looked at the Garmin 545s, but apparently discontinued model, replaced with 546 model. I fish mostly California Delta, with occasional trips out to Bodega Bay for bottom fishing

Jason

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have an old Lowrance LMS-350A, that I acquired with my Crestliner Eagle, "off button" , or alarms do not work, and I really do not like th "track back' function. Anybody want to buy it?...just let me know. I'm going to upgrade to a color GPS, sonar, chartplotter. I have been reading about the Lowrance HDS series, but the verdict is out on that one.

Anybody have suggestions? i have also looked at the Garmin 545s, but apparently discontinued model, replaced with 546 model. I fish mostly California Delta, with occasional trips out to Bodega Bay for bottom fishing

Jason

If you don`t have to have color; http://www.iboats.com/Furuno-Ls4100...64505309--**********.905626652--view_id.52856

Salt water guys say Furuno is the best sonar.

bigfish2

Cadet

thanks for the reply. But I think I want a color system. I have a Furuno radar that I cant figure out. Taking off the boat, and selling on Ebay, along with my Lowrance

Jason

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the reply. But I think I want a color system. I have a Furuno radar that I cant figure out. Taking off the boat, and selling on Ebay, along with my Lowrance

Jason

You will get good money for your units on ebay. Do a good job posting them with clear pics.

A friend of mine had me install a Humminbird 788 with the internal GPS on the bow of his boat.
Your looking at $649. Looked like a nice unit. I played around a bit with it in demo mode.
I wouldn`t mind getting one for my boat. I don`t know how this unit does out on the water though.
I think Humminbird is a stand up company when it comes to service and quality.

bigfish2

Cadet

WHOFAN,

You were right on the money . Sold my Furuno 1621 w/ Radome for $700.00
I was shocked at how much that particular unit was still worth. Now if I can just make a decision about Fishfinder,chartography, GPS unit. Have you read much about the Lowrance HDS series? I looked briefly at the HDS 7, but here a lot of people waiting for sideview technology. Any thoughts Lowrance, Garmin, vs. Hummingbird?
Thanks,
Jason

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

WHOFAN,

I was shocked at how much that particular unit was still worth. Now if I can just make a decision about Fishfinder,chartography, GPS unit. Have you read much about the Lowrance HDS series? I looked briefly at the HDS 7, but here a lot of people waiting for sideview technology. Any thoughts Lowrance, Garmin, vs. Hummingbird?
Thanks,
Jason

http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161275

Lowrance aren`t what they use to be.

I have a vexilar Edge that I think is great.

If I were to buy a combo unit Humminbird is stronger on sonar less so on GPS, Garmin is stronger on GPS less so on sonar.

All points considered I favor Humminbird.

The hulltruth.com is a site that has many salt water fishermen on it.

You may prefer the Garmin unit.

Freshwater fishermen favor Humminbird.

Garmin seems to be prefered by salt water fishermen.

I`m a fresh water guy.

I will not drill hole in my boat to mount a Lowrance product made today.

tkrfxr

Petty Officer 1st Class

WHOFAN,

Thanks,
Jason

I would not part with my Furuno 1621. I went with a Lowrance LMS 525c which came with a skimmer transducer and a paddlewheel and has networking capability... Seems to work great although it is discontinued and being replaced by newer models. With Lowrance, adding more toys to the network is easy, and not very expensive. Look into LowranceNet...

Status
Not open for further replies.