Lowrance HDS7 no fathoms on chart

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am trying to find out what I am missing to make my HDS7 unit display chart depths in fathoms and not feet. I live in Hawaii and was wondering if our location has something to do with it. In the manual it says something about the 30 degrees west line that might do something. I changed the units to fathoms in the unit menu. I also called the Lowrance techline where the tech said there is no fathoms only feet and meters. As to which I said yes there is, its right on the menu. He then told me that its preloaded software and has nothing to do with the unit. But doesn't the unit control the chart??? I don't know anyone here that uses feet or meters to fish, since the water is so deep. Any help is greatly appreciated, I would hate to have to divide by 6 every time I see a depth mark.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lowrance HDS7 no fathoms on chart

As to which I said yes there is, its right on the menu. He then told me that its preloaded software and has nothing to do with the unit. But doesn't the unit control the chart???
The units operating system is owned by Lowrance. The mapping software is supplied and owned by C-MAP and Navionics. Sounds like the maps on your system don't have fathom data. Maybe try the other supplier and see if they supply the data.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Lowrance HDS7 no fathoms on chart

I bought the lowrance HD insight card. Might be the problem. Might have to spring for the navionics.