Lowered motor, still blowing out.

Philster

Captain
Re: Lowered motor, still blowing out.

My eyeballs talked to my brain, and both agree that the prop looks all wrong.

A modern prop of almost any variety has got to be the first thing to try. Raking, cupping, material... all contribute to solving the problem.

Ditch the wing. Depending on how water comes off the hull and plays off that thing, it can keep the prop from being in the right kind of water... especially when turning.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Mine ('81 Evinrude 90) used to blow out if I nailed it from a dead stop. I got an inexpensive Turning Point Hustler aluminum prop and it totally fixed that issue. I can trim it out a little further now also. Since they aren't expensive, might be something to try.

zeek7pc

Cadet

My damn camera batteries died, but here's an update. I found the "trim pin" (not quite sure what it's called) was in hole #6. You can see it in an above pic. In this pic that is as far as the motor will trim down. I removed the pin and can actually get the motor parallel with the transom now. I think that may be 85% of my problem, the motor was always trimmed to high. I'm going to the local boat repair guy and try a couple of prop configs as soon as this Oklahoma monsoon ends. Thank you so much for all your insight and expertise. I'll follow up after a new prop gets installed.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I found the "trim pin" (not quite sure what it's called) was in hole #6. You can see it in an above pic. I thought that was as far as the trim was designed to go down. I removed the pin and can actually get the motor parallel with the transom now. I think that may be 85% of my problem, the motor was always trimmed to high.

That'll do it!

topglock

Seaman Apprentice

I don't see any reason why that hull shouldn't run fine with the right prop. My boat has a very similar hull design and the cav plate is actually just over 2" high. Water barely covers the top intake hole at WOT. Water pressure never falls off, even in WOT turns and the prop never blows out. Your setup should perform similarly. Judging from the weight you're probably carrying, I'd think a 13.25 x 17 Turning Point Hustler would do the trick. Nice part about the Hustler is that the blades are slightly cupped and the prop is vented, which helps tremendously with hole shot. Top speed is also very good. Turning Point also has a swap out policy. If the prop doesn't work out for you, they'll swap it for a different size for a small fee. Usually about $20. Good Luck!

zeek7pc

Cadet

Update......

After removing the pin that kept the motor from trimming all the way down, and buying a new 13.25 X 17 three blade prop, took her for a test run. Man what a difference!!! boat jumped on plane with four grown adults (not tiny ones either) and the trim actually functions like it's supposed to now! WOT 5500 RPM's and 34MPH, GPS certified! Thanks again for all your help and insight!

Corey

topglock

Seaman Apprentice

Perfect! Glad it worked out...