lower unit seals help

dhughes49

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2002 merc 150hp saltwater (Carbed). I have a OEM manual. I don't see a procedure for changing just the seals .
There is of course the procedure for taking the whole unit apart Including the seals. Can the seals at the prop. shaft be changed without removing any parts other than the prop ?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: lower unit seals help

There are folks who drill a small hole in the seal.-------Then put in a self tapping screw in order to pull the seal out.--Results may vary.----------Do you have water getting in the lower unit ? -----Have you pressure tested the lower unit ?-----------Do you have some oil leaking out near the prop ?

dhughes49

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes I found a small amout of water in lower unit oil.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

There are folks who drill a small hole in the seal.-------Then put in a self tapping screw in order to pull the seal out.--Results may vary.----------Do you have water getting in the lower unit ? -----Have you pressure tested the lower unit ?-----------Do you have some oil leaking out near the prop ?

And if you scratch the prop shaft then your in for a expensive replacement.

dhughes49

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The cheapest and easiest is to replace the seals on the fill/drain and vent plugs as they are notorious for leaking if they haven't been replaced. See item 19 in this link:

Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. - Gear Housing(Driveshaft)(Standard/Counter Rotation) - 135/140/150/200/XR6/MAGNUM III/140JET (2.5L)(CARB)

How have you identified that the prop shaft seals are leaking?

Gerry

I have not pulled lower unit yet. I will pressure check as soon as I Get it off.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

I just repair the odd motor.-Do not use the drill and pull it out technique myself.----Many folks look for short cuts.----Results may vary.

If you do find that the seals have worn a groove in any of the shafts or you nick the shaft on the seal face you can always speedi-sleeve it. Way cheaper than buying a new shaft. You can go to SKF.com and input your dimensions of the shaft and it will provide the p/n for the correct sleeve. I have done this with many a shaft. Trucks/tractors/boats/dirtbikes/sleds, you name it.

dhughes49

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I like to do as much as I can for myself . What is the difficulty level (from 1 to 10 ) to pull the prop. shaft out to change the seals ???

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Problems come in on salt water motors.-----Otherwise it is not hard to do.-----Look at the parts blow-up for your motor to see what is involved to pull the bearing carrier.----Propshaft can be left in place.

dhughes49

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't need to remove the carrier bearing Right ?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

When you remove the bearing carrier assemly the seals can be pried out.--No need to remove a bearing from the carrier.--The propshaft can stay in the housing !

dhughes49

Petty Officer 2nd Class

oh OK im starting to get the picture now . I will need to buy a cover nut tool and a long puller jaw as well as a puller bolt?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, I do not know what is in your workshop or toolbox.----For a one time repair you might consider making a tool to turn that nut.----Piece of 3/8" flat bar with 2 bolts in the right place will do it.---Of course if money is no object then the special tool is no problem.

dhughes49

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry, I do not know what is in your workshop or toolbox.----For a one time repair you might consider making a tool to turn that nut.----Piece of 3/8" flat bar with 2 bolts in the right place will do it.---Of course if money is no object then the special tool is no problem.

I don't have any of these specialty tools . thanks for the flat bar idea but its that puller that really costly . Will any jawed puller work on the carrier assembly ?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

I have made my own special tools.-----------You need to look at a way to grab hold of this bearing carrier to pull it out.------On fresh water motors you may not need a team of clydesdale horses to get it out.

dhughes49

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have made my own special tools.-----------You need to look at a way to grab hold of this bearing carrier to pull it out.------On fresh water motors you may not need a team of clydesdale horses to get it out.

Ok thank you for your help.