lower unit removal::i must be missing something

piperdog

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hello,ive searched and studied other threads ,heres my story,its a brownband ,mercury 35 hp ,2 cylinder.undone the three bolts and the 2 nuts ,drops 1/8 inch approx ,thats it .this is my 2nd week and to get access to the drive shaft ive made a 2x 2 inch hole above the impeller housing ,poured anti -seize product (wd40 )onto the shaft and have removed the impeller key by destroying the impeller housing ,the engine is hanging upside down off the floor ,but no give ,can the shaft be removed from the gear box end without taking the gear box apart ,or is the something im missing ,,,thanks piperdog

verado7

Chief Petty Officer
Re: lower unit removal::i must be missing something

i think you have to disconnect the shift shaft on those years but beyond that if its never been off before or in several years it could be impossible to remove without damaging the crank - my buddy has seen many that the only optionis to cut the driveshaft in half and replace the crank and drive shaft . give it some time - you could also unbolt the block and try rocking back and forth .

piperdog

Petty Officer 3rd Class

cant the drive shaft be removed from the gear housing ,

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You might find the manual need here. I don't know what year a brownband is. You probably need to disconnect the shift shaft.

http://www.hibbing.mn.us/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={8B2E6CEF-5E42-4BA4-AA26-31E0490E23F4}

hotfoot3

Recruit

can you help me with my year model on my black max 200hp 6461234 is ser.# looked on maxforum.com did have some that started with 64. but was only good to 96

verado7

Chief Petty Officer

removeing the driveshaft wont work it will still be stuck to the crank and you wont be able to to slide the water pump off - dont worry your not the only guy who's been in this situation - try what i said . if you can hook up a pulley above the block and attach a rope or what ever to it then tighten up on it to give it some pulling pressure then undo the bolts on the block and wiggle the block front and back it might just seperate - thats how i did mine -although i left it over night with rope and pulley keeping pressure on it and it came off - i then lubed the shaft up real good - previous owner never had it apart and thats what happens -and why they recomend changeing the impellor each season ( impellors usually last a long time on motor that does short trips and trolls ) .but before all that you will need a manual and verify if your engine needs the shift shaft disconnected - even some engines of the same year are fitted with different style lower units so the only way to tell is look up your serial number and study pics of the lower unit .