Lower Unit reattach-Last 1/4 inch stuck!

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an Alpha I, 1984 Merc outdrive. Replaced the impeller and trying to re-attach the lower unit.

Boat is shifted full FWD, shift shaft is FWD and engaging the upper shoe. I rotated lower shift shaft CW to FWD and held it with the prop. It goes up in there, and by rotating the prop a bit CCW it seems to engage, but not the last 1/4 inch. I can put on the 2 side nuts. Do I tighten the nuts and pull it on up? Am I simply compressing the pin at the top of the drive shaft?

I don't want to force it if it will damage something.
Thanks.

chiefalen

Captain
Re: Lower Unit reattach-Last 1/4 inch stuck!

no don't force it, Start all over.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Boat is shifted full FWD, shift shaft is FWD and engaging the upper shoe. I rotated lower shift shaft CW to FWD and held it with the prop. It goes up in there, and by rotating the prop a bit CCW it seems to engage, but not the last 1/4 inch.

That sounds like you are trying to put the outdrive on the boat.

Do I tighten the nuts and pull it on up? Am I simply compressing the pin at the top of the drive shaft?

That sounds like you are trying to put the upper and lower together.

What are you trying to do ????????

ziggy

Admiral

It goes up in there
That sounds like you are trying to put the upper and lower together.
that's what it sounds like to me.
when the two don't mate. my best feeling is that it's the water tube or the water tube guide. my guess is the guide. at least in the times that i get hosed over it. read the manual close, i think it says put the tube guide in the upper, and the water tube in the lower. that has seemed to help me. do 2-4-c them good. patience....... worse comes to worse, it does go together easier with the upper and lower horizonel on the bench.... and ya are supposed to remove the drive for end of year inspection and lubrication...

Last edited:

JustJason

Vice Admiral

did you put an oring on the vertical shaft?

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm mating the lower to the upper, and there is an o-ring on the drive shaft. By drive shaft, I mean the vertical splined shaft that goes way up into the upper unit.

As to the water tube, I have it inserted into the impeller housing and as I mate the lower to the upper, I look up to make sure it is going onto the tube hanging down from the upper.
Do you think the upper tube is not going into the bottom one all the way because it hits something?

ziggy

Admiral

sounds like yer doing what ya can. use the lub. to me it's hit and miss. and i've missed many times too, most painfull. try again. ya will hit it and you will know when ya do.....

achris

More fish than mountain goat

... and there is an o-ring on the drive shaft. ...

Remove the 'O' ring... It causes more problems than it solves.

Chris.......

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK-I took a look at how the upper water tube fits into the impeller housing by taking the old housing and seeing if will slide up all the way onto the upper tube. Seems to hang when the upper tube tries to go into the housing seal. I will try lube on the upper tube. I have the guide tube in the housing.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

If you have a pre-load pin on the drive shaft then YES you will need to take up the slack and compress the pin.Jerry

JustJason

Vice Admiral

and thats why i asked........... get rid of the o ring.

abj87

Petty Officer 1st Class

did you read the service manual on how to do it? it tells you which gear it should be in (cant remember which) and to turn the shaft to align the splines.

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class

I ended up using the nuts to pull it up the last bit. Maybe it was the o-rings, but since it felt a bit squishy I took the chance and forced it. I think it is good. It shifts OK.

Thanks for the inputs.

achris

Pull it apart again and throw the 'O' ring... It fouls on the seal and ends up holding it open... Plenty of water then gets in and rots the splines in the upper drive shaft.... You'll then need to pull the top box apart to replace that one, not to mention all the shimming has to be done again....

Chris...........

chiefalen

Captain

We don't install that o-ring on my friends drive just did it 2 days ago, came in the kit.

We found we can't seem to get it to hold air with the o-ring installed. It squeezes out.

We decided was not needed and i believe, merc says not to use it anymore.

But we on our own decided not to use it.

achris

We don't install that o-ring on my friends drive just did it 2 days ago, came in the kit.

We found we can't seem to get it to hold air with the o-ring installed. It squeezes out.

We decided was not needed and i believe, merc says not to use it anymore.

But we on our own decided not to use it.

Replacement driveshafts for the I, R, and MR drives don't even have the groove in them.