Lower unit question on 1989 XR4 Merc 150

85stratosman

Cadet
Checking out this Merc xr4 150 to buy the people sware it runs but I cant crank it cuz it needs a starter put on. The other situation is all johnson and evinrudes I have ever had to me when you put the motor in gear to engage it you should not be able to turn the prop with your hand. This one you can and I can hear a popping when I turn it. The other thing is when I checked the lower unit fluid water came out and then the fluid. Do I need to stray away the motor is on a 18ft winner with a jack plate and hotfoot descent hull over all and they were not trying to get rid of it I just stopped and asked cuz I seen it sitting and they said they would take a grand for boat and motor other wise they care nothing about trying to sale it or use it cuz it belonged to there deceased uncle.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Lower unit question on 1989 XR4 Merc 150

A motor without a starter is a pig in a poke.

If it's the original XR4 LU, it's a small diameter 1.78:1 unit that can't take a lot of abuse. Running it with bad seals and getting water in it is abuse.

The LU normally ratchets in forward gear. It should lock up in reverse.

hope it helps
John

85stratosman

Cadet

so does that mean that when I put it in forward gear I should be able to turn the prop by hand. Heres the deal, I can turn it by hand and it make a ratcheting sound in forward gear but with it still in gear I cant turn the prop backwards. Now if I put it in reverse gear I can turn it backwards and make the same ratcheting sound but when I turn it forward it locks.

j_martin

Admiral

I just went out to the shed to check out my stock XR4 (1988).

It ratchets in forward gear. The ratcheting sound is muffled with cold high performance gear lube.

In reverse, there is a good bit of backlash (dog clutch) but it is solid both ways.

There may be a different LU that ratchets in reverse, but I've not seen one.

BTW, that's the reason that LU installation instructions tell you to put everything in reverse. It's so that a twist on the prop shaft will turn the drive shaft enough to line up.

If yer looking for an easy runner, I'd walk away if I were you.

JOhn

basshunter21

Cadet

The noise and being able to turn the prop in foward but not backwards when engaged in foward gear is NORMAL...water in the fluid not so much.....the motor makes the boat...If you don't have a good motor u better have a strong trolling motor and some good charged batteries...been there

85stratosman

Cadet

Well guys I figured that part out. The lower unit is ok, but it will be getting a new seal put in before I take it out, as well as a new impeller. I am having the starter rebuilt as we speak and I will pick it up tomorrow. I gave $900 for it and it is a 1988 Winner 18ft bass boat in mint condition needs seats, but the wiring is all hooked up right and all the gauges work areators bilge and livewell fill all work, it has a hotfoot with a rapid jack jack plate. The motor im not so sure about, I have not heard it run, and the cowl on it is the reason I thaught it was a XR4 150, I know it is a 150 from the title and but the year of the motor is a 1985 and the motors they made then are XR2, someone took the split cowl setup off of it and fabricated a XR4 cowl to fit it. Trim works very nicely no leaks and is real smooth. The serial number is A178856, but I cant find anything on the net with that serial number. The Trailer is a tandem axle with hydraulic breaks and all in all for $900 with titles to boat and motor even if the motor is junk, Which they swear it runs lol, I do believe I can easily make my money back on it.