Lower unit lifter. Solenoid?

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 2001 Searay sundeck 2210 inboard outboard MerCruiser 4.3 engine; everything runs fine. On the aft deck there is a hidden switch (under the air intake area) to raise or lower the lower unit; likely a trailing switch. I also have a switch to raise or lower the lower unit on the throttle and the throttle has a trailer lifting button to get it a tad higher. The switch in the aft deck does not work any longer; when you try to raise or lower the engine from there you hear a click coming from what I think is the solenoid. The switches on the throttle work fine. I believe I have two solenoids back there. Fair to assume one is for the aft deck switch and one is for the throttle switch? Assume the aft deck switch solenoid needs replacing? It’s a tough spot to get to, so should I replace both while back there? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... It's more likely the aft switch, or it's wiring is bad, or corroded,.....
There's 2 solenoids, as one is up, 'n the other is down,....

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
I wanted to circle back here. When wintering the boat yesterday, I noticed that the only way to lower the lower unit was to press the down button on the throttle. The only way to lift it was to use the “trailer” button on the throttle. The “up” part of the lift/lower button on the throttle doesn’t work. The rear deck lifting switch doesn’t work at all.

So the solenoids should be fine? Just the two switches? (Rear lift/lower switch and the lift/lower switch on the throttle?

Thank you.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I wanted to circle back here. When wintering the boat yesterday, I noticed that the only way to lower the lower unit was to press the down button on the throttle. The only way to lift it was to use the “trailer” button on the throttle. The “up” part of the lift/lower button on the throttle doesn’t work. The rear deck lifting switch doesn’t work at all.

So the solenoids should be fine? Just the two switches? (Rear lift/lower switch and the lift/lower switch on the throttle?

Thank you.
Usually if you have to use the trailer button to raise the drive the trim limit switch is bad. It is on the port side of gimbal ring and can be jumpered in engine compartment or at trim pump. Can't comment on transom switch but both throttle and transom switches will activate the same two solenoids, just need to trace it out with a volt meter if yo are getting 12v at appropriate solenoid to fire it up or down

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Odd that the throttle switch works, and the aft switch doesn't work but you get a click. You'd think that if the switch clicks the solenoid the switch wiring is ok, and if the throttle switch works then solenoid is good as well

Bondo

Staff member

Thank you.
Ayuh,...... A test light oughta tell you exactly where the problem is,.....