lower unit froze on shaft???

Status
Not open for further replies.

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is more a lower unit problem so I am posting on all brand forums, looking for some good tips.

My brother in law got this boat from his dad, who owned it since around 1984 or so.

Here comes the issue:

1976 55 hp Evinrude

Neither one of them has ever, yes I said ever, changed the impeller or the gear lube. so for at least 23 yrs, both have never been touched. I tried to help him get the lower off, does not budge. It's loose, but won't disconnect, got al bolts out, got the shift rod bolt out, can spin it a bit back and forth , but won't come loose. After that many years is it possible that the driveshaft is corroded together? any suggestions? or is this going to be a job for a mechanic.

It's too bad, cuz I have been in this boat, it is immaculate, starts and runs great (except for no water flow this season).

Here is the ironic part, His dad, the previous owner, Retired from Evinrude. He is so Anal about taking care of things. Everytime he would put the boat in the water, he would sand down any bad spots on the trailer and repaint it. but says he never once did the impeller or gear lube. Unfortunately, he must not have ever read the manual.

Does anyone have any ideas, even crazy ones, on how to loosen up and drop this lower? Anything goes at this point, the thing doesn't spit water at all now, so it wouldn't last 5 minutes on the water.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.