Lower Unit and Sea Water ...Response ASAP, Please

Cpt Crunch

Cadet
We 'inherited' a 16' Fiberform boat with a '68 Merc 500 50hp on it. I had it out yesterday only to discover I had put it back together incorrectly and it was stuck in forward gear. Thanks to this site, I now know what I need to do.

So, ....when I just took the lower unit off, sea water poured out where the lower unit meets the next housing. Is this normal?

The exhaust lip was sealed with silicon, but the tube up into the engine wasn't, and the seam between the units isn't exactly flat. There's also the small opening around the nuts and bolts that could let a little water in.

Also, when I took the trim zinc off, a little water poured out of there too. Is this a problem, or is this how they were built?

Is there a way to drain/flush this area after each use, or is it fine leaving it alone to flush it now and then, like once a month?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lower Unit and Sea Water ...Response ASAP, Please

That should self drain I would think. Look for a 1/8" drain hole above the vent plug on the gearcase. There is usually a rubber seal in the waterpump outlet and in the gearcase that receives the exhaust tube. Water routinely gets in that area, but it should drain out.

robert graham

Admiral

Yep, lower units are pretty much self-draining....when I pull my boat out of the water I'll tilt it up to drain everything as much as possible. Check for those drain holes that Chris mentioned...might be plugged with sand or weeds...

Cpt Crunch

Cadet

Excellent! I haven't seen a drain hole, but I can sure make one.

Guys, thank you!

robert graham

Admiral

Maybe better not drill any extra holes...it'll drain by itself!;)