Lower end rattle in Neutral only above 1500 rpm

karayj

Chief Petty Officer
1989 37 merc

So yesterday I noticed when I lifted up my outdrive that if you rev it 1200 to 15000 only NOT at idle this up there is a rattle click noise as if it's trying to get in gear, but the prop is not spinning. When you switch from reverse to neutral and then into forward it locks in perfectly. This tells me it's not an adjustment issue It's definitely something when you Rev it over 1200 to 1500 RPMS. It's this clicking, rattling sound and I'm just a little concerned that when I'm driving the boat in forward , I'm not hearing it because the outdrive is underwater and may be causing damage what is this noise?? I will add this the clicking rattling noise. Is similar to that one as it starts to go into gear you'll hear a tick tick tick tick.

Bondo

Staff member
1989 37 merc

So yesterday I noticed when I lifted up my outdrive that if you rev it 1200 to 15000 only NOT at idle this up there is a rattle click noise as if it's trying to get in gear, but the prop is not spinning. When you switch from reverse to neutral and then into forward it locks in perfectly. This tells me it's not an adjustment issue It's definitely something when you Rev it over 1200 to 1500 RPMS. It's this clicking, rattling sound and I'm just a little concerned that when I'm driving the boat in forward , I'm not hearing it because the outdrive is underwater and may be causing damage what is this noise?? I will add this the clicking rattling noise. Is similar to that one as it starts to go into gear you'll hear a tick tick tick tick.
Ayuh,..... Don't raise the drive so high,......

Yer hearin' the u-joints beatin' the 'ell outa each other,.....

The motor should only be run with the drive in the "Trim" range,.... Never in the "Tilt" range,....

For an Alpha One, the max angle of the drive (trim limit) for running is set at 21¾" center to center for the trim ram mounting bolts. See the attached video to get an idea of what that looks like.

fuqit

Recruit
I had this noise and it sounded like a coin in a dryer and was happening just like yours. It turned out to be the metal rod that connects the upper and lower unit, it looks like a shoe. with the drive raised I could recreate the noise with my fingers. I had other issues with the LU and ended up getting a new SEI one. The noise went away after that.