Lowe boat aluminum trim tabs

tumblebug1949

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Has anyone used the aluminum manufactured trim tabs on the transom of a Lowe boat. The mechanic at my dealer shop said to bend them downward in very small amounts (like a quarter inch at a time) to assist in lifting the stern of the boat. I have a 2070 Roughneck tiller model so all the weight is in the rear.

I know I can add commercial trim tabs but do not want to drill holes below the water line. These aluminum tabs should do the job but I was curious to know the results if anyone had adjusted them. I have read that trim tabs only help correct the symptoms of a stern heavy boat. Maybe a better fix would be to just add weight to the bow. Some comments about that idea would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for info.

jbcurt00

Staff member
These
Has anyone used the aluminum manufactured trim tabs on the transom of a Lowe boat. The mechanic at my dealer shop said to bend them downward in very small amounts (like a quarter inch at a time) to assist in lifting the stern of the boat. I have a 2070 Roughneck tiller model so all the weight is in the rear.
Arent the same as these
I know I can add commercial trim tabs but do not want to drill holes below the water line. These aluminum tabs should do the job but I was curious to know the results if anyone had adjusted them. I have read that trim tabs only help correct the symptoms of a stern heavy boat. Maybe a better fix would be to just add weight to the bow. Some comments about that idea would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for info.

tumblebug1949

Petty Officer 3rd Class
jbcurt00, I know they are not exactly the same but they both are made to angle down into the water so when the boat is moving through the water, that will push upward thus lifting the transom of the boat.

If you would explain more than "These aren't the sambas these" it might be helpful. It would seem to me they were there to do exactly the same thing. One may be adjustable while on the move while the other stays at a pre-determined setting. Other than that, they would seem to be the same to me.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I know what trim tabs are and how they are used.

The parts of your quoted text I put in bold read the same to me, alumimum manufactured tabs VS commercial tabs. Both must be mounted to the boat and have holes drilled into the transom.

Your most recent post cleared it up.

Smart tabs would be my choice:
http://www.iboats.com/SX-Smart-Tabs-...view_id.352488

FYI: forum members get a discount

Tabman

tumblebug1949

Petty Officer 3rd Class
jbcurt00 I can't figure out how to load a picture here. The tabs are small and right below the tie down lugs. They are only an estimated 5 inches wide by 2 inches deep. They are an extension of the bottom of the Lowe Roughneck boat and are just small aluminum extensions that stick out of the bottom of the transom on the boat.

It would be my guess if a manufacturer went to the expense and trouble to add these they were meant to have a function.

Maybe that will help explain my question.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
I know what trim tabs are and how they are used.

The parts of your quoted text I put in bold read the same to me, alumimum manufactured tabs VS commercial tabs. Both must be mounted to the boat and have holes drilled into the transom.

Your most recent post cleared it up.

Smart tabs would be my choice:
http://www.iboats.com/SX-Smart-Tabs-...view_id.352488

FYI: forum members get a discount

Tabman

JB...the 2070 Lowe "trim tabs....... and NOT add on trim tabs.... they are static strips of aluminum WELDED to the very bottom , back of the hull that point straight back.... they are about 8-10" wide and only stick off the hull about 1".......I have the same boat, but I modified it to be a center console.. and I welded Flotation pods on the back of my boat to lift the stern.... and I welded right onto those little static tabs!!!.....I am retrofitting my boat again right now.. and I actually cut those Lowe tabs off.... they are so small..i can imagine they do much at all......

in theory I guess you could put the boat on your trailer and walk up to the back with a wide set of vise grips and BEND the tabs up or down,,,,, to "adjust"

bob

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
to the OP......the tabs you want to adjust will only have an effect at speed on plane.... its just a slight adjustment youll be able to make...at slow speed and sitting still...they do nothing for you

bob