Loud Clunk when shifting into gear.

sebas54

Petty Officer 1st Class
HI I have a GM 4.3l merc alpha 1. I have recently removed the outdrive, and now when shifting into forward from reverse or vise verse, I hear a loud clunk. It sounds like someone is hitting a hammer against a hollow pipe. What did I do wrong? How do I fix it?

This happened to me once before when I replaced the bellows and gimbal. If I remember right I just adjusted the the shift cable and the problem disappeared. Could this be the reason?

Also I have had problem with the motor shutting off only when going into reverse. I didn't think it was the shift cable because I removed it and it was fine. I removed the shift interrupter switch and it broke off into pieces in my hand. It was a old school one that is no longer made. So I put it back together and now the stalling problem is gone but I have a loud clunk coming from the outdrive.

Please help.

Thank you.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Loud Clunk when shifting into gear.

is the idle speed at spec. likely somewhere around 700 rpm? high idle will make them go clunk hard. don't know about the ringing sound though.
are ya making a quick shift. not letting it ratchet(for lack of a better word for grinding the shift dog teeth off) into mesh..

here's a link to someones repair for the nla shift interupt switch.. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=290793&highlight=interrupt
kept it on my bookmarks for the day mine goes south...

sebas54

Petty Officer 1st Class

The idle is at spec. Around 700rpm. I am going to try and adjust the shift cable but don't remember how. If someone could shed some light or point my in the right direction.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy,

Loud clunks are sometimes related to high idle speeds and slow cable movement.

Ensure that your idle speed is around 600 or so....(check your service manual)

The shift interrupt should only be active when coming out of gear. It's not really needed going into gear.

If the shift interrupt was activating when going into gear, your shift cable is probably dragging or the drive is shifting hard....