lost-'62 johnson

6228SH

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello all-I bought a '62 28 horse johnson and have come to the conclusion that I'm fixing everything but it's real problem and I need suggestions.I bought this a couple months ago not running and have done a carb kit,cleaned and gapped points,synched the carb and advance plate,checked fuel flow out of pump and for air leaks,etc-it seems everything I do finally has it running decent but quickly back to the troubleshooting agian.initally,the carb was flooding so I did the kit and got it running but it was suffering from a bad lean sneeze.I went back through the carb,re packed and set the needles and this time learned about welch plugs and found some old packing or something under there-I found the throttle wasent closing and synching the linkage had the motor sounding pretty good.got on the lake and it ran OK although flat after about half throttle-I shut it off and then it wouldnt start. here at home I got it kind of running but it kept sneezing/dying and finally wouldnt start. top plug looks good,bottom plug black and sooty.I am missing something for sure-if the motor was dropping a cyl because of a coil or condensor,wouldnt it still fire on one cyl? I am used to other types of engines were the throttle operated the carb and the timing advanced from weights-this is a whole new animal for me and I could use some help!

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: lost-'62 johnson

i would replace the coils and condencers.if there original their proably not very good anymore.i had a older jonstone and the coils were a coppery color and if you looked closely they were cracking.replaced with new seirra parts and presto new motor.just worked on a 2cly johnson and if you tried to start it you could pull all day with no results.put new plugs in and fired right away.so yes one dead plug will kill a 2 cylinder pretty easily.might want to check the compression also to make sure your working with a otherwise healthy motor.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Good advice. All the old coils are usually toast unless they have been replaced. Personally I buy OMC coils though as they're only about C$30 but whatever is available... And I've never use others so cant say anything bad about em!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

laingsoutboards.com great place for older parts.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Sierra coil, 18-5181, $19.82, iboats.com

BRP coil, 584477, $25.74, ishopmarine.com

6228SH

Petty Officer 3rd Class

a bad coil might not show up checking spark either huh? as in, seems if this is my problem it's loosing spark after it runs and heats up a bit-can the dealer check mine if I bring them in? thanks for the quick replys!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You can check the spark with an inductive timing light. After it starts to run poorly, put the light on and see if it sparks every time. Inspect the coil for cracks, as best as you can. If you see any cracks or ooze, replace the coils.

6228SH

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think I have found the problem.pulled the flywheel agian and saw one set of points' "finger" that rides on the point cam was bent back-pulled that set out to look closer and it broke the rest of the way-thanks for the replys,Steve

6228SH

Petty Officer 3rd Class

new points and condensors put in,the motor fired up,ran poorly and died.I am now getting no spark to either cyl.the obvious answer is putting new coils in but I cant get them now and looking for another source of the problem. so,two questions-is there a common problem with perhaps a wire shorting out in a certain spot on theese motors,switch failing,etc that would cause a no spark condition? second,I did pull the coils and see no cracks or sign of them arcing to anything-normally,at this point I'd check for spark at the coil and/or points but with no way to spin the motor,dont know how. if you were stranded on an island with nothing but hand tools and a motor with theese symptoms what would you do?! swim for coils?:)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Those ignition systems have wires under the flywheel, which spins. It can easily rub the insulation off the spark plug wires, coil wires and condenser wires. In addition, it the flywheeel is not torqued down tight enough, they tend to shear the key. Sounds like you want to re-pull the flywheel, check for bare wires and sheared key. If both are OK, I would replace the condensers, and reset the point gap. The condensers should be pretty cheap. Oh yeah, torque the flywheel to the proper value - very important.

6228SH

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I did just that,and didnt find anything- I bought new coils today-now just waiting for rain to let up to stick them on! thanks for the replys-this is a great site!