LOSS of Power after Hitting Large Wave - 2+2 Mercury 100hp

njm_fish

Recruit
I have a 1994 mercury 100hp that was running great until this weekend. I hit a large wave and it lost WOT. The engines starts and runs smooth just no full power. It runs at about 3200 RPMS, but wont' gain any more under load. I let the engine site for about 30mins and it started to get full power, but then quickly died of and backed down to the lower RPMS.. This engine is a 2+2 so it runs rough between 2000-2500 RPMS.

There is a small hose that is capped and comes out of the lower unit. I think this a speed sensor ? This seemed to be cut and chewed up. Is this the control for the cylinders firing. Not really sure what this piece does it's capped, even in the book it shows this being capped and just hanging out.

Anyone have any ideas?

Doug57

Seaman
Re: LOSS of Power after Hitting Large Wave - 2+2 Mercury 100hp

The small tube is as you are thinking for the speed sensor. Unless something in the bilge shifted and pinched a fuel line or maybe shook up some trash in the fuel tank that has restricted fuel flow I don't know what else it could be. I'd start with that.

I had the same think happen on my 50 horse a couple days ago. I don't really know how, but the jolt from the wave appears to have caused a needle to stick in one of my carbs. I put a little extra pressure on the fuel bulb (gently) and it fixed itself.

cc180

Recruit

Check the spark coming from your coils, I had 1 go bad after a good jolt from hitting a wave hard.

I could not pass 3000 rpm and had to go drive in 3 miles like that. once I checked spark I notice one plug was irradic. I changed the coil and that was it... Back to WOT.

blazer01

Seaman Apprentice

check all your connections?