Loss of forward & reverse after experiencing a period of losing rpms

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1985 merc 185 hp 229 cu in V-6. Couple of weeks ago (on the first run of the season) I noticed a rpm creep 'gain' on the tack...just acouple of hundred and it happened at 3500, 3000 and 2000. It would run up and then by itself drop back to it's starting position.

Scene shifts to last weekend. Running down the Ohio River from Cincinnati to Madison, IN the engine begins to 'lose' rpms. At first just alittle but as the run continued quite a bit...say 3000 rpm's would drop to 1800. I would then lower the throttle setting way down and then slowly increase the rpm's and the boat would perform normally.

Get to Madison, have a local mechanic look at it and he runs a fuel pump pressure test and reports only 4 lbs. of pressure. Replace the fuel pump and the boat runs fine during the 15 minute test ride. He wanted to rebuild the carb but I decided not to.

Next morning turn north towards Cincy and the boat runs like a raped ape for about an hour and then starts duplicating the same performance....losing rpms....drop the throttle...take it back up and it runs great for a while....Get to Markland Lock (that's the lock that the gate fell off of 2 years ago...)...upon entering the Lock the engine goes from a normal idle sound to a high speed whine....No forward or reverse! And I'm 10 feet from the lock doors...get squared away....get towed out of the lock....pull the cover and check all the linkage...it's working fine....start the engine up and it runs fine....just no forward or reverse..

My local factory trained merc mechanic takes a quick look and determines the problem is the coupler.

Would you please share your opinions. Seems to me I've got two problems....(1) something is causing the engine to lose rpms and (2) I am not transferring power from the engine to the outdrive....

Any advice?

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: Loss of forward & reverse after experiencing a period of losing rpms

as far as a poor running engine it could be tune-up fuel system, overheat, or any other possible problems - take a look at this info:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=295070

as far as a coupler issue, pull the drive and have a look at the coupler itself, you will be able to see if it is the problem fairly quickly

cr2k

Captain

4 psi should be fine for a carb'd engine.

You could also (engine off) reach back around the back of the engine and feel the shaft, follow it to the engine and coupler, if your fingers come back with the stickiest black stuff you have ever seen (or tried to get off your hands) it's the coupler.

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

cr2k...good call. Mechanic pulled the lower unit and the coupler was as round and smooth as a drilled hole! Completely ground off! Now...here's the mystery. Why did the rpm's climb at first and then drop! Really don't know if this is the only problem or if the loss of rpms is due to something else. Won't know until it gets put back together and see if the problem has been eliminated. Stay tuned more news at 11 pm.