Loose rear engine mounts

reference123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have a 1978 OMC 225 (GM 305). In doing some work on the engine today, i noticed the rear engine mount bolts were loose. Not the single bolt mount but the foot that actually attaches to the hull which has a 3 bolt pattern.<br /><br />The bolts are all loose and sticking up about 1/2 inch. In trying to tighten them, it acts like there is a nut on the bottom which spins when I try to tighten the bolt. I cant find any way to get to the nut though. Is there any easy way to tighten these?<br /><br />And, how dangerous is it to use the boat with them loose. Is it something I need to fix before further use?<br /><br />Thanks

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Loose rear engine mounts

They are more than likely Lag bolts and will not tighten up due to stringer rot, remove one and see if it is rusty and or wet, and stick a blade screwdiver into the hole and see if the wood is soft, if so then you might be lucky enough the rot is only around the the bolt. You might be able to drill out punky wood and fill with marine tex and redrill and install new lags.

wvit100

Chief Petty Officer

You need to check the engine alignment after you fix the motor mounts. I wouldn't keep using the boat until the mounts are tight.

reference123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

would i need to align the engine prior to tightening the lag screws or can it be done after?<br /><br />Also, the drive is a stringer drive, is alignment that important as it just goes through the rubber gasket in the transom?