Loose Rear Engine Mount Lag Bolts

reference123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The wood blocks on my rear engine mounts have rotted around the lag bolts so the three lag bolts are not staying in.<br /><br />Someone mentioned using marine tex epoxy might be a fix. Seems like that would be hard to get down in the holes. What about the 3M 5200 or a similar adhesive that would be easy to inject down into the holes?<br /><br />Thanks

BillP

Captain
Re: Loose Rear Engine Mount Lag Bolts

5200 might work but marine tex is better. You need to remove the bad wood first. It's not that difficult to remove the engine bolts and slide or jack the engine up so you can have access.

reference123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. I realize to do it right I need to pull the engine but we only have about 7 more weeks of boating weather where I am at. I am hoping to find a temporary fix for that time and then dig into it when it gets to cold to boat anyway.

Buttanic

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The rot didn't just occure in the last few weeks. If you just found the problem than you have been running with it for sometime. If it wasn't causing problems before just wait the 7 weeks and do it right the first time.<br /><br />Buttanic

reference123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Follow up for anyone that cares in the future.<br /><br />Got some Anchor-Tite (a fairly liquid epoxy for use in boats) from Home Depot and mixed it.<br />Then put the epoxy in a syringe (the kind you use to give kids medicine which Albertsons pharmacy gave me for free) and filled the rotted holes with the epoxy.<br /><br />After the epoxy had cured for about 4 hours, I drilled new holes and put in the lag bolts and they tightened down great. So far they seem to be holding strong.