Looking to Purchase/Trade for 1992 baja with 4.3L yamaha with cracked Exhaust Manifol

Looking to Purchase/Trade for 1992 baja with 4.3L yamaha with cracked Exhaust Manifol

• yes youll be able to get it running!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Run fast!!!!

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

renegadefan

Recruit
Hey guys just looking for some advice here. I am looking to trade a diamond ring I have for a 1992 baja islander with a 4.3L yamaha stern drive. The boat itself is in good condition but the guy told me that there was water left in the exhaust manifolds and they cracked over this past winter. Will there be other potential problems that would be encountered? Can I just weld the manifolds to fix this problem? Will I have to purchase new ones (i know they are hard to find) Can i switch it over to different exhaust manifolds and run a thru hull exhaust? just looking for some advice opinions etc. on what I should do. I have been trying to trade the ring for a boat for awhile now and want to know if this is a good deal or if im falling into a money pit

GMC2003

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Looking to Purchase/Trade for 1992 baja with 4.3L yamaha with cracked Exhaust Man

Cracked exhaust manifolds can be welded, but it is likely that they cracked on the inside too. This will let water into the engine and it will hydrolock. Also, chances are, if the manifolds are cracked, the block may be cracked too. I have heard yamaha stern drives are a pain to find parts for and can be expensive. Maybe some Yamaha stern drive people will chime in, they know more than me...

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Looking to Purchase/Trade for 1992 baja with 4.3L yamaha with cracked Exhaust Man

Hey guys just looking for some advice here. I am looking to trade a diamond ring I have for a 1992 baja islander with a 4.3L yamaha stern drive. The boat itself is in good condition but the guy told me that there was water left in the exhaust manifolds and they cracked over this past winter. Will there be other potential problems that would be encountered? Can I just weld the manifolds to fix this problem? Will I have to purchase new ones (i know they are hard to find) Can i switch it over to different exhaust manifolds and run a thru hull exhaust? just looking for some advice opinions etc. on what I should do. I have been trying to trade the ring for a boat for awhile now and want to know if this is a good deal or if im falling into a money pit

Ayuh,... Yamaha was only in the North American market for a couple of years,...
There's No new 1s, 'n NO parts for the old 1s....

If ya want an I/O boat,...
Buy 1 powered by a Chevy based motor, 'n a Volvo, or Mercruiser drive....

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I had a Yamaha outdrive on my 90 Chaparral and never had an issue, but as mentioned, if you do have an issue, there are absolutely no parts available, new or used. Seems to me you could probably sell the ring and buy something with a more common Volvo or Mercruiser with a GM engine.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I had a Yamaha outdrive on my 90 Chaparral and never had an issue, but as mentioned, if you do have an issue, there are absolutely no parts available, new or used. Seems to me you could probably sell the ring and buy something with a more common Volvo or Mercruiser with a GM engine.

Oh and forgot, if they left water in the manifolds, then there was also water in the engine and you may have a crack in the block too.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Oh and forgot, if they left water in the manifolds, then there was also water in the engine and you may have a crack in the block too.

Would still be cheaper than putting that ring on someones finger....:D

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Money pit. First there's the aforementioned issue with Yammie drives, then there's the tendency for transom and stringer rot in 90's Bajas. Sell the ring, then buy a boat in running condition after it's been surveyed. You'll be much better off.