Looking for some help

I have a 85 force outboard motor I been working on it and finally the motor has stopped me in my track. here is my info on the motor.
Compression test:
Cylinder 1 - 110
Cylinder 2 - 110
Cylinder 3 - 120
Spark Tested Both With Test Light And Ground Test:
Cylinder 1 - Strong Spark
Cylinder 2 - Strong Spark
Cylinder 3 - Strong Spark
Fuel:
Fuel goes all the way through to the carbs and have good fuel going into the carbs
Timing: Had a friend come out and check the timing it was off little bit we adjusted it to 28 it was on 30.
Choke: Doesn't seem to work we tried to manually choke the carbs by hand.
With all of the being done the motor still just cranks and cranks doesn't even try to start.

dwco5051

Commander
Have you pulled the plugs right after cranking and cranking. Are they wet, dripping, dry? That would be the first quick check I would do. If dry put a little mixed fuel in a squirt bottle and spray into carb while trying to start. If you a least get a pop or bang you have fuel problems.

Have you pulled the plugs right after cranking and cranking. Are they wet, dripping, dry? That would be the first quick check I would do. If dry put a little mixed fuel in a squirt bottle and spray into carb while trying to start. If you a least get a pop or bang you have fuel problems.
I'll try that tomorrow too dark now But yeah the plugs was dry. I thought if I was getting good fuel from tank to fuel pump to carbs the fuel system was good I guess there is something I don't know about with the fuel system.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Rebuild each carb thoroughly with a factory rebuild kit so you will have all the correct setup adjustments for the motor. Do a link and sync on the carbs, get a factory service manual if you don't have one

Nordin

Commander
When cold engine you have to choke these engines.
The choke butterflies have to close completely when engaged.
Spray some oil/fuel mixture with a spray bottle into the carbs while cranking.
If the timing is right and you have right HT-wire at right spark plug it would start or cough.
If not you have bad reed valves in the engine.

Nordin

Commander
If he has adjust the timing from 30 to 28 dgr BTDC at WOT and at top plug, the flywheel key is okey.
BTW 28 or 30 drg BTDC does not matter, it will start and run with both.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Check the flywheel key.----On most motors you can not determine if key is sheared by using a timing light !

The Force power

Commander
If he has adjust the timing from 30 to 28 dgr BTDC at WOT and at top plug, the flywheel key is okey.
BTW 28 or 30 drg BTDC does not matter, it will start and run with both.
True, but I wanted to know from him; how? static timing @ WOT or how??

When cold engine you have to choke these engines.
The choke butterflies have to close completely when engaged.
Spray some oil/fuel mixture with a spray bottle into the carbs while cranking.
If the timing is right and you have right HT-wire at right spark plug it would start or cough.
If not you have bad reed valves in the engine.
So looks like you and

dwco5051 are on the right track I have not inspected the reeds yet because i want to get your opinion first. I sprayed 50:1 premix in the carbs and the motor fired right up first try 2nd try and 3rd try without issues each try the motor ran fine and idled fine for about 5secs. Should we still suspect and inspect the reeds? Also the guy I got boat from say the fuel was a month old I took off the fuel line and sprayed some in a clear glass container. It has a bad odor and looks like a emerald color could it be the gas?​

What procedure did he use?
I'm not sure how my friend determined the timing but we disconnected the safety switch push throttle wide open grounded all the spark plug wires to the block he connected the gun light/timing light to the cylinder 1 wire and the battery pos and neg and had me crank it over and he adjusted this thing with a nut on it under the flywheel

Nordin

Commander
Spray premix again in each carb and when it fires up try to choke it manually on and off with the choke rod.
If you can get it to run longer than before then you have a fuel feed issue and I would suggest to check the reeds.
They are behind the carbs in the manifold.
V-blocks behind each carb with stainless steel pedals.
The gap at the pedals to the V-block can be some hundreds of a millimeter.
Check with a flash light if you can see some light through pedals alignment to the V-block.
About the fuel, the color is from the two stroke oil, but if it is feculent you have water or and dirt in the fuel.
Best is to fill up with fresh fuel mixture.

Last edited:
Spray premix again in each carb and when it fires up try to choke it manually on and off with the choke rod.
If you can get it to run longer than before then you have a fuel feed issue and I would suggest to check the reeds.
They are behind the carbs in the manifold.
V-blocks behind each carb with stainless steel pedals.
The gap at the pedals to the V-block can be some hundreds of a millimeter.
Check with a flash light if you can see some light through pedals alignment to the V-block.
About the fuel, the color is from the two stroke oil, but if it is feculent you have water or and dirt in the fuel.
Best is to fill up with fresh fuel mixture.
Ok I will try these things but I have a update: I rigger up the fuel line to a fuel can it getting good and tight on the fuel line bulb and starts right up runs for about 10secs then there is a hard backfire that comes out of the propellor hole and then shuts down.

Ok I will try these things but I have a update: I rigger up the fuel line to a fuel can it getting good and tight on the fuel line bulb and starts right up runs for about 10secs then there is a hard backfire that comes out of the propellor hole and then shuts down.
New update: did what you said with the choke and it ran fine. I did a little extra and shut it down then ran it without doing the choke thing but did choke it to start it just didn't continue to choke it after started and ran fine again. about to check the reeds. but need to know is there a special tool needed to measure them or will a tape measure or digital caliper work?

Ok so I checked the reeds they are .010 but there was a gasket on it that didn't look to been in good shape so I made a new with my rubber gasket material I have left. Will try to start motor once the people fixing my siding on house leaves and let you know what happens.