Looking for pump to drain oil through dipstick tube

JGator

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I own two Yamaha O/B motors, F90 and F50. Wanting a pump to pull oil out through the dipstick tube. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jim

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
There's many available from West Marine to Amazon, just search for them.

JGator

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There's many available from West Marine to Amazon, just search for them.
I've researched most of the weekend. Thought that actual boat folks here would have better recommendations than Amazon shoppers.

flashback

Captain
I have a holt extraction pump that worked fine the 2 times I've used it on an I/O.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I like this, the Topsider, all metal construction, this one is over 20 years old and works great.

Attachments

• Oil change pump.jpg
    Oil change pump.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 2

airshot

Rear Admiral
Always drained my oil, never trusted a pump to get my oil out.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Well for those of us with inboards or I/Os that’s the only way!

airshot

Rear Admiral
On my I/O I still used a drain screw, made sure I could reach it before I bought it. I am not comfirtable leaving any crud in the bottom of the pan. They also make drain kits so you can run a hose out the transom drain to drain your oil. Just don't trust a pump, I know many do, but I never would, to many better options.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
fire the motor up and get it warmed up , shut off, and pump it out.
long as you get the tube to the bottom of the pan it will be the same as pulling the drain plug.
what do you think will be so heavy that it would settle out into the bottom of the pan and not be able to suck it out?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, on those Yammies, isn't there an external rubber drain tube? My neighbors' 150 has one. Makes draining oil pretty easy. Why would you want an oily pump cluttering up the workshop?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Well if you do some reading on the Hull Truth which is very outboard based; stripped engine oil drain plugs are common on Yamahas. Hence why some people use vacuum pumps on them too. And don’t feel there is any big drawback to it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
So, you are saying that some cannot be trusted not to strip a drainplug, so that all should be afraid to pull the drain plug?

Gee, those drain plugs are made to be removed. if they strip easily, the design is bad, no?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That’s what some of the Yamaha owners say. Cannot overtorque them at all. I have a little Suzuki DF 2.5 and never had that problem so who knows?!
Never had problems with drain/fill plugs in lower units either.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I like this, the Topsider, all metal construction, this one is over 20 years old and works great.
Hi guys, so I have agreements and disagreements on this topic. Kudos to Lou!! I use the same Topsider pump for over 20 years and it works quite well as long as the motor is fully warmed up and oil is hot. When oil in pan is just about empty and Topsider is losing suction due to almost no oil left , I dump a quart of fresh oil into the crankcase to get any old oil that was hanging out anywhere into the pan to be drained. As far as this quote. "Well for those of us with inboards or I/Os that’s the only way! " The suction pump is definitely NOT the only way for us I/o guys. I installed a drain pump into a 255 Regal I had years ago.It was a single 5.7 which had room for twins so I had a ton of room to do whatever I needed to do in the engine compartment.I removed the drain plug from the oil pan and replaced it with a fitting connected to a hose that was connected to an electric pump that I installed onto the stern bulkhead.When I wanted to change the oil it was so simple that I actually loved doing it.I climbed into the engine compartment and sat quite comfortably next to the motor with a bucket. Placed the hose from the installed electric pump into the bucket and pressed a button and the pump drained every drop of oil in approx 90 seconds. This pump was the greatest setup ever!!! Sooooo there are options for some of us but surely not for all of us.Charlie

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If you can get to the drain plug to add a drain hose then sure it might get a bit more oil out than using the vacuum pump but in many cases you can’t even reach it with the engine in place.

matt167

Captain
pumps are fine. I was proven they worked once by pumping a car out. Then filling it up with junk mixed grade leftovers, draining that and, no sludge… I’m not saying a pump is my preferred method, as I’m a drain person.. but it does work.

A basic $6 harbor freight pump will work well enough, but not the easiest or quickest… oddly enough I’ve pumped out car lift pump reservoirs with a gear lube pump. It’s rudimentary but works

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I've researched most of the weekend. Thought that actual boat folks here would have better recommendations than Amazon shoppers.
The volume of reviews one can get on amazon can be helpful. You can search the reviews for keywords like boat, yamaha, marine, etc to pinpoint however a pump is a pump regardless of the engine the tube gets stuck into.