looking for project advice/pics of project

handy83

Cadet
here she is, a 1984 glasstron conroy x17. IMAG0029.jpg Picked it up a couple months ago for 600$ the decks were mush, the and the motor didnt run, but it was on the original trailer, and the boat was complete, and the hull seemed to be solid. pulled the motor, tore it down and found a spun rod bearing. the block and crank have been to the machine shop, got new rods/pistons, gonna build the motor as soon as my gaskets/bearings get here.IMAG0035.jpg One odd thing i noticed is that the motor is a 140 hp, and the outdrive is a 120. is this something to be concerned about ? as far as i can tell, the motor was replaced, and the outdrive is original. also, is this what is refered to as an alpha 1 outdrive ? IMAG0063.jpg It is my understanding that there is a water pump located in the lower portion of the outdrive that should be replaced as well as changing the lube oil. anything else i need to know about the outdrive ? services to be done, or adjustments to be made ?IMAG0061.jpg I have pretty well finnished the demo portion of the project, now im starting the repairs, and building. IMAG0069.jpg the stringers seem fairly solid, however i am planning on adding to them to raise the deck about 2 inches. is there any reason i shouldnt ? i am a fisherman, and i am planning on building this boat to suit my perpose. casting decks and livewells instead of seating. also, there is no coast gaurd data plate. is that something i need to get ? all i could find is the hull sn. anny tips, and advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys !

Bondo

Staff member
Re: looking for project advice/pics of project

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,...

The Drive has been replaced with an older unit, no real worry there...
It's a Model 1 drive, or Pre-Alpha...

Why are you wanting to Raise the deck,..??

Handy,

Welcome to iBoats. For the outdrive I suggest checking the following items at a minimum:

1. Change water pump impeller (and maybe housing)
2. Lower unit gear oil change
3. Pull drive and check the gimble bearing and oil seals (replace if necessary)
4. Replace all of the rubber bellows.
5. Check lower shift cable and replace if necessary.

If your deck is mush then more then likely your transom is gonzo as well. Since you have the motor out and hopefully will be pulling the drive, carefully check for rot around the bell housing of the outdrive. Also carefully check the stringers also. I have not seen a boat like this with a partial good interior, it's usually all or nothing when it comes to rot.

You could look at Fiberglassics web site to see if they have a brouchure of your boat which may contain some user data. Not sure if Galsstron is still in business or not. If so contact them with your Hull ID number and they should be able to help you out on the CG data.

handy83

Cadet

the original deck didnt go completely across the boat. in the pic you can see where the old deck stopped, this made the floor uneven. that was fine because of the arangement of the original seating, but because im gearing it towared fishing, i want the deck flat across the boat so im not tripping, and to make as much open space as possible

handy83

Cadet

belive it or not, the transome is rock sollid ! i have checked it carefully, and see no problems with it. i had no intentions of removing the outdrive from the boat. is it important that i do ?

handy83

Cadet

is a cg capacity plate a legal requirement ? is there a year cutoff ? how could i get a replacement ? also, expanding foam. great stuff from lowes ok ? i assume its important to replace the foam under the decks for boyancy, and ride quality, rite ?

Bondo

Staff member

also, expanding foam. great stuff from lowes ok ? i assume its important to replace the foam under the decks for boyancy, and ride quality, rite ?

Ayuh,... Definitely Not the foam in a spraycan...

The foam is put there to Rot the hull....
It's buoyancy only comes into play, After the boat is Swamped....
And,...
It's got Nothing to do with Ride Quality...

handy83

Cadet

so, no foam at all ? it seemed like it would take care of alot of vibration, but if it serves no real purpose untill the boat is sinking, i guess i wont bother with it.

belive it or not, the transome is rock sollid ! i have checked it carefully, and see no problems with it. i had no intentions of removing the outdrive from the boat. is it important that i do ?

Well you don't have too. But it's the only way to check the gimble bearing and replace the bellows. If you want to chance it then it's up to you. You are putting a fair amount of work into this thing. I would hate to see you take it for your first run only to have something simple like that ruin your day.