looking for electric start kit 1958 Johnson 18hp

dwittig33

Seaman Apprentice
Hey there. Have a 58 seahorse 18hp. I'm thinking about converting it to electric start. I'm having a tough time finding a kit.

Also on the upper rich lean adjustor I split the needle by tightening the screw too much so am looking for that and the knob that goes with it.

I guess while I'm at it I'mlooking for advice on whether to switch from a two line pressurized tank to a fuel pump system. The tank I have no works fine but is pretty messy. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: looking for electric start kit 1958 Johnson 18hp

Go to the top secret files at the top of this forum and look for salvage yards or else try E- Bay.

tbfosback

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think I have a spare needle for that carb out in my garage. Let me know if you need the high speed or low speed needle. As far as converting to a new style fuel pump I would recommend it. But then again if it ain't broke..

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Well I have been collecting for quite a while, and have never seen a "kit"

If you want to convert, you will have to do it 1 item at a time. that will add up. Easiest way is to buy an electric start parts motor that is seized up and pull the parts from it. A lot, not all, of the salvage yards will salvage all the cash from your wallet ;)

Post a wanted ad at aomci.org in the webvertize and see if local members to you can help out.

dwittig33

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for your help. As far as the needle goes I need the upper one which is the low speed I believe. That would be great if you could help me out.

As far as the two line tank I think I'll build up the gasket and get some new house clamps on it to see if I can clean it up a little. Looking around, those old tanks are pretty sought after. Anyone know why that is?

Thanks again

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

If you want to keep the 2 line tank, do a simple rebuild on it, and away you go! How is the condition of the inside of it? What about the seams on the bottom, exterior?

Why Sought after? Well, they don't make them anymore do they. I have gazillions of them, my wife hates hearing "pressure tank" ;) She calls it our kids retirement fund. True purists want the original tanks as well.

Nothing against changing to fuel pump though. I have done that dozens of times for people as well. Just depends on what suits you best.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

These tanks are sought after.---Many of these motors still run like the day they were made.----So folks are looking for the tanks.--Your location is very important in trying to find the parts needed for electric start.----These are readily available in some areas.

Last edited:

dwittig33

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah I was looking for a fuel connector for those tanks and that little part is running for 150$. Almost more than I paid for the motor.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Yeah I was looking for a fuel connector for those tanks and that little part is running for 150$. Almost more than I paid for the motor.

Some people are insane. they think old is gold, lol

If you need one shoot me a pm.