Looking for complete engine info...want to look for parts.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Looking for complete engine info...want to look for parts.

1- whats that Hydrolic line going into the side of the stern drive, I have a Alpha Gen 1 drive, and a MC-1 drive, and never seen that hyrdrolic on anything ever before.
Go up to the original post and look at the picture. Just to the right of the battery switch is a round reservoir. That is the gear lube reservoir for the drive, and comes out of the bottom of the reservoir and hooks up to the top of the drive.

2 - Wow there is literally no skeg on that unit , what are his options for repairing it (OTHER then sending it out for a rebuild) does he have too?
The drive will work fine without the skeg, Aesthetics and prop protection is what the skeg is for, not direction stability.

menglor

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I feel like Denis the Menace!

"Hey Mr Wilson! whats this for? whats that? and this?"

thanks a ton for all the cool info, going to save me a lot of posting later.

STINGER23

Cadet

Some further info.

Mercruiser did use the Alpha I outdrive on the 454's in 86-88 only, but, if that is the correct serial number for the drive it has the wrong gear ratio. Merc used a 1.32 and your sn has a 1.5 ratio (for a small block V8)

The engine is not originally for the alpha drive, because it has the fuel pump mounted on the sea water pump that came later.

If you don't have the SN tag on the engine, post a picture of your distributor, and the shift cable plate.

I'll get a picture of distributor + the shift cable plate next time I go down to the boat.