Looking for advise for launching/retrieving with small child

Status
Not open for further replies.

mralex

Cadet
Hello all,
Fairly new to the forum, lurking way to long without posting. So the bit of advise I am looking for is for launching and loading boat on trailer with small child, he will be 3 in July. My experience, 20 on\off years of boating, just getting back into it with a 19 ft bayliner cuddy cabin, 125 hp outboard. To be honest I have never been boating with anyone younger than 12-14 yrs old, so to have a real young one on board will be new. Yes , if your are adding all the years together, I started late, I am 46 and the little skipper will be 3.

Specifics to just me and him going boating.
- yes the obvious, pfd on as soon as we hit launch
- launch boat, him in truck , out of car seat , so he is not restrained if worst happens?
- getting boat off trailer, him in truck still ?
- same at loading boat?

thanks in advance for anybodys experience,
david

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant
Re: Looking for advise for launching/retrieving with small child

Yup, I think in the truck is the safest place.

Chiliando

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow.

I don't know if I would go out with my son if he was only 3. I say that because you have to have your eyes on a 3 year old ALL the time and you also have to have your eyes on the water when you are the captain.

Any way you can take a third person? If not, I don't think I would personally go out. You are much more experienced in boating that I so you might be comfortable. It would scare the hell out of me!

What if he or you get sick while out? It happens......

As far as loading unloading, I agree with that the truck is best place for him!

shorts&chanclas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like the lowest risk approach. its a tough few minutes by yourself.

The Famous Grouse

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jaysus, Mary, and Joseph. Yes, yes, what if you get hit by a metorite and it sinks the boat leaving your child to be raised by wolves living on an island in the lake? Oh, wait, what if you get hit by lightening in your zipper and then you're days of having kids are over? Oh, Saint's preserve us! You could get caught in the middle of a gunfight between rogue Bayliner gangs who are really pissed that they both bought sh!tty boats with rotting stringers.

I was wondering when the Chicken Littles would appear on this post warning of impending doom. I was thinking it might be a little later than the second reply.

OK, so back in Reality Land. . .

Keep the boy in the car and strapped in his car seat. The chances of your vehicle rolling in to a depth where the child is under water are non-existant.

Keep in mind, once the hull of the boat is floating, the effect of gravity "pulling" your vehicle down the incline is greatly reduced. So even if your vehicle were to roll back, it would slow or stop once it got far enough in the water such that the child was even getting his feet wet.

There would be far more chance of the child getting hurt were he to decided to get out of the car and help dad while you were distracted.

So go out and have fun and ignore all the doom merchants spouting tosh. My father had me out on the Mighty Mississippi in SE Minnesota when I was 4, fishing, without a lifejacket, in NOVERMBER. I remember it well, watching mini icebergs bounce off the boat, snowflakes in the air. He hooked the fish and I reeled them in. Best of times, I wouldn't trade them for all the dire health and safety warnings in the world.

Grouse

shorts&chanclas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jaysus, Mary, and Joseph. Yes, yes, what if you get hit by a metorite and it sinks the boat leaving your child to be raised by wolves living on an island in the lake? Oh, wait, what if you get hit by lightening in your zipper and then you're days of having kids are over? Oh, Saint's preserve us! You could get caught in the middle of a gunfight between rogue Bayliner gangs who are really pissed that they both bought sh!tty boats with rotting stringers.

I was wondering when the Chicken Littles would appear on this post warning of impending doom. I was thinking it might be a little later than the second reply.

Keep the boy in the car and strapped in his car seat. The chances of your vehicle rolling in to a depth where the child is under water are non-existant.

Keep in mind, once the hull of the boat is floating, the effect of gravity "pulling" your vehicle down the incline is greatly reduced. So even if your vehicle were to roll back, it would slow or stop once it got far enough in the water such that the child was even getting his feet wet.

There would be far more chance of the child getting hurt were he to decided to get out of the car and help dad while you were distracted.

So go out and have fun and ignore all the doom merchants spouting tosh. My father had me out on the Mighty Mississippi in SE Minnesota when I was 4, fishing, without a lifejacket, in NOVERMBER. I remember it well, watching mini icebergs bounce off the boat, snowflakes in the air. He hooked the fish and I reeled them in. Best of times, I wouldn't trade them for all the dire health and safety warnings in the world.

Grouse

too funny.

samagy16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As the above poster said, Is there any one else that can go with you?
At the same time it shouldn't just be anyone else, it should be someone who is really going to help you out not just hanging drinking a cold one.

I think 3 is way too young without mom also being there or someone like that.

Personally I have a 9 yr old girl that lives for going out boating and my wife would actually kill me if I took her out by myself, it just wouldn't happen I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it. Been boating for years and I never take out a young one unless their mom is there to tend to them.

Too much risk and responsibility commanding the vessel without even having to babysit.

With all due respect my opinion is that you are asking for trouble.

mralex

Cadet

Hello again,
Well 'Famous Grouse' I love the humor and encouragement to the boating experience early in your life. I wasn't that young on my first trip, 8 yrs old with my first tinny w/ 9.9 johnson.

A little backround might help a few of the 'stay at home' voices, by the way heard and digested.

I am a part time stay at home dad with this little skipper, mornings til 10 am 4 days a week, and I have him all day on fridays. Mom works 7-4 M-f, so hence the discussion and wanting of advise for that Friday on the water. Him, lessons started 3-4 months ago on wearing pfd at least twice a week, he now asks to wear it. Lessons on use of emergency whistle attached to pfd, moving along, but occasionally thinks its just a toy. Has spent a few hours on the boat while dad tweeks the bayliner to be water ready.

So I hope that may help any future posts, I am particually interested in any one with any first hand experience with parents and their little one, out on the water.
thanks, david

Nandy

Commander

This is my thought and experience about this:
Your best bet is to have someone else with you. That way you can do concentrate driving a boat while someone responsible looks after the child. Yes, a lot of people has done what you want, take the child by yourself and nothing bad happened. We also survived lead base paint and riding bikes without helmet... However, I can tell you a friend of mine lost his 2 brothers when the car rolled into the water, a friend of mine almost died when he fell out of a bike without helmet and I know a few kids that their metal retardation was link to lead base paint...
Now, if you can't have someone else with you, which is probably the reason why you ask...
This is what I do with my autistic son. He rates different ages depending on what he is tested on. From 4 years old to up to 18 which is what he is...
My son follow rules so I rather let him out of the truck with a pfd while I back the truck. I tell him to sit at the beginning of the ramp while I do that. When I'm done with the boat I get him in the car and park. Then we head back to the boat, he sits next to me. We hit the banks or the beach and is all us in this world... I hook the fish, he reels them in or we just float off the beach.
When we get back, I dock the boat, get out with him, head to the parking, get back to the ramp, get him out to sit in the ramp, I get the boat on the trailer, get him back in the truck and head out... He does know how to swim though...
I understand what you want, you want that connection and want to get him started boating as soon as possible. The question is... What is more important, his safety or the early love for boats. You know your kid. Only you can answer that.
God speed...

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Grouse

I am amazed that you would even put these words to your keyboard.

Keep the child strapped in? Not unless you don't care what happens to him.

Your vehicle will stop once the boat is floating, if there is a condition which causes it to roll or slide into the water? Not hardly and I would love to hear your explanation for all of the vehicles that have gone into the water at many boat ramps.

Take your young kid out without a PFD? This is not only a very stupid and irresponsible act, but it is also illegal.

I don't know that there is a perfect answer to the question of what to do with a 3 year when launching, but leaving him strapped into a car seat behind you, isn't it. My son is almost 4 and I either put him in the boat or tilt my steering wheel up and put him between my legs as I back down the ramp or pull the boat out. By doing so, I can control where he is and I can get him out of the vehicle immediately, if there is a problem. While tying the boat up or pulling it onto the trailer, he is on the dock, in a PFD and within my sight at all times. He also has a PFD on at any time that he is near the water.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My son is currently 2. Right now I think it would be difficult to take him out with me just by myself. However I think there's going to be a world of difference between 2 and 3. I fully expect to take him out with me next year. I agree with the above poster who said he'd leave the child in the truck. I am not at all disagreeing with jay above. His point about the possibility of the truck sliding into the water is a legitimate one. However, the ramps I use are not very steep so in my case I think that risk is very minimal and acceptable. I have definitely seen ramps where that would NOT be the case. With my son in the truck he's never going to be more than 20 feet from me and nowadays you really can't leave your child unattended anywhere anytime.

JZammetti

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, I could not imagine even trying to launch or retrieve any boat alone with a three year old child, maybe it is my inexperience talking. I know I have a six year old and I launch and retrieve with my wife and sometimes my dad my daughter can be distracting. Good luck, let us know how you make out.

fishon13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Take your child be safe and have fun. What body of water are you boating on? I think I would hesitate if I was going into the ocean although my parents never did and I thank them I never get sea sick and love all things on and in the water. I would not leave him in the car seat when launching, when I was just a bike ridding little guy my friend and I were going to the pier along the way were two boat ramps. There was a mustang trying to pull a boat out the driver hit the algea the tires started to spin and he laid on the gas which increased his downward slide, he kept on the gas until the motor was stalled due to water intake. When all was done he got out drenched and the only portion of his car visible was the trunk. The trailer which had the strap attached to it lifted the back end of the car. Later in life about 5 years ago I lost my dually at a boat ramp in FL, long story maybe on another thread. My point is if the child is straped in then its just another step to save your little skipper.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

When I first read your post title, I thought it said: Looking for advise launching and retrieving small children... I was like hmmmm...

I'm a single parent (and wa close even when I was married). I've boated with my daughter since she was in diapers and have never had a problem. Note that I would never take her alone during high ramp traffic times, and even then had to be careful.

while unplugging lights, taking tie straps off, putting plug in, etc... (blower on now) getting last cvouple things set up on boat: kiddo in boat. Life jacket on before getting out of truck.

Backing down the ramp, kiddo in truck with me.

Getting boat off the trailer, floating over to dock, etc.. kiddo in back of truck I can see her, she can see me, she can't "accidentally" find a way to do anything that would hurt the truck..

park the truck together.

back to the boat together and off we go.

pretty much the opposite order for retreival.

if there was a day when she didn't want to "follow the rules", we practiced until she was ready. patience is the key - you konw the drill if you stay at home with your son at all.

As she got older she was given increasing trust and her own responsibilities at each step to both teacher her and give her something to do. For example, while i was getting the boat off the truck, it might be her job to (in the back of the truck still) put the drinks and ice in the cooler...

btw, she's 14 now, helps at every step of the way and I'm not even afraid of the day in her "training" when she backs the trailer down the launch for the first time... I am more worried aobut letting her drive when i'm skiing - her throttle hand is heavier than mine!

Chiliando

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So go out and have fun and ignore all the doom merchants spouting tosh. . I remember it well, watching mini icebergs bounce off the boat, snowflakes in the air. He hooked the fish and I reeled them in. Best of times, I wouldn't trade them for all the dire health and safety warnings in the world.

Grouse

If putting the safety of my son as my first priority is " chicken little", then I proudly wear that badge. I just gave my honest opinion and don't think insults were needed.

If the example of "My father had me out on the Mighty Mississippi in SE Minnesota when I was 4, fishing, without a lifejacket, in NOVERMBER" works for you and yor family, it does not for me.

Andy in NY

Commander

I have a 3 year old. I'm going out after work tonight, by my self (wife working) and she will be going to a sitter. I cant imagine being out on the lake paying attention to where i am going and to her at the same time. also at the ramp, there is not anywhere that i would trust her un attended.

Normally when the whole family is there, my wife, 3 yr old and 13 yr old sit on the grass while me and 9 yr old boy launch the boat. none of them are allowed to leave the grass, and pfd's are on as soon as they get out of the truck.

I would not even consider an outing with a child under 6 or 7 solo.

cwhite6

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bring my four year old with me by myself. She stays in the truck in the preparation area while I prep the boat. When tryck is backed down, she gets out with me (PFD on) and rides in the boat with me while I go park it at the dock. The she walks back with me to the truck to park the truck. Then into the boat with me. Reverse for getting out. I do not go to busy ramps when it is just her though. Some of my most fun times are tooling around with her by ourselves. I am just as capable as watching and controlling my child as my wife is.

mralex

Cadet

hello again,

i would like to thank everyone for their comments and input on the subject. The 'lil skipper' is down for his nap now after a fantastic father/son outing with haircuts and a lunch at McD's. Its a rainy day here so no outing on boat today. Plus I need to do a little more prep for a solo outing for just the two of us.

By just getting back into boating and a new area, I need to be 'real' comfortable with the launch site and body of water before its a solo day out with him. The area is Windsor Locks , Ct. , so far I have found a small local lake, I was there the other day, nobody at launch and one tinny with trolling motor was all the traffic I saw. Smaller water areas are in the plans, that and I hope by it being a solo trip on a Friday, a lack of wake traffic.

Take care, David

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

I bring my four year old with me by myself. She stays in the truck in the preparation area while I prep the boat. When tryck is backed down, she gets out with me (PFD on) and rides in the boat with me while I go park it at the dock. The she walks back with me to the truck to park the truck. Then into the boat with me. Reverse for getting out. I do not go to busy ramps when it is just her though. Some of my most fun times are tooling around with her by ourselves. I am just as capable as watching and controlling my child as my wife is.

That is how I do it as well. Too many what if's with leaving my son in the truck or sitting on the grass by himself for someone to snatch up while I am on the boat. He is 6.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

While there isn't a prefect answer to this question, the idea of leaving a toddler strapped into a car seat is the one that bothers me the most.

Simply put, cars/trucks do sometimes slid into the water and submerge completely. To have a child in a seat that he/she can't get out of, while the only adult present is not in the vehicle, is a horrible scenario to contemplate. In fact, I wouldn't even leave the kid strapped in the seat while I was still in the car - its just too dangerous.

The logic in my choices have been as follows.

Child in the boat, in a PFD, boat key in my pocket, battery switch off: If something happens, the kid is in the boat, which will float. He can't start the engine or turn anything on, because the ability to do so has been disabled.

Child right next to me at all times, including being between my legs when I am backing down or pulling out: By doing this, I keep control of him at all times. He is also in a PFD at all times, so if he ends up in the water, including a situation where I have to push him out the door if we slide down a ramp, he will float and be OK.

I have come to like choice #2 better, because I think it is safer than the "in the boat" choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.