Looking for a Turning Point Hub/Washer for a mercruiser

steves86ta

Seaman
feel free to delete if this isn't allowed. But i bought a BNIB older Turning Point Hustler prop for my 1991 Sea Ray. It came with the hub but is missing the thrust washer and the star washer to retain the hub to the prop.

I know it's a long shot but was wondering if anyone had any ideas on where i could find one? I tried calling Turning Point but he no longer makes them.

here's a picture of what im looking for.

Attachments

• star washer.png
    star washer.png
    254.5 KB · Views: 4

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Johnson outboards use a spacer that is splined. It should fit your Mercruiser, and take up the space the star washer normally would. The standard Mercury prop nut is a nylon lock nut. The star washer is used but is probably overkill.

When you say thrust washer, you mean the washer that goes on the shaft under the prop? If the current thrust washers are too large in diameter, perhaps you could grind one down, unless of course, you have access to a lathe..

steves86ta

Seaman
Johnson outboards use a spacer that is splined. It should fit your Mercruiser, and take up the space the star washer normally would. The standard Mercury prop nut is a nylon lock nut. The star washer is used but is probably overkill.

When you say thrust washer, you mean the washer that goes on the shaft under the prop? If the current thrust washers are too large in diameter, perhaps you could grind one down, unless of course, you have access to a lathe..
Thanks for the reply.

i wish i had access to a lathe...

This prop is weird, its not a normal hub and this washer 'locks' the hub in.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    508 KB · Views: 5
  • 2.png
    2.png
    368 KB · Views: 5

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
OK, how about a unique idea? A newer TP hub (or any other hub) will have a brass splined "tube" that connects the hard plastic hub to the propshaft. The plastic in turn locks into the prop shell. Why not take one of those standard hubs and shave it if necessary to fit into your prop shell. Now mix up some epoxy resin and fill the prop shell with it to lock the plastic hub into the prop shell? You will need to make sure the hub is exactly in the center of the prop shell, but the plastic hub may help with that. Those "teeth in the prop shell might hold pretty well.

You will need to test it at full throttle to see if it hangs together, but you could get some use our of that old prop. It will not be repairable on the water, so you will need a spare prop (a good idea none the less).

Have you looked on flea bay for the correct hub? They have some unique stuff there.