Looking at adding a 3rd Toon.

BigDfromTN

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 24' Fisher pontoon and ran across a friend that has some 24' pontoons for sale.
That got me thinking... Why not at a third toon to my boat and hopefully increase the performance and buoyance at the same time.

I'm running a Mercury 90hp fourstroke. So I'm thinking the increased speed may be minimal?

First thought is to leave engine pod as is or maybe partially notch it and weld in a plate for strength. This will require the new toon be cut and shortened to a custom length.

I think (have to verify) the toons he has are 26", same diameter as mine are now. If so should I bolt it straight to the cross members or block it up somehow to make the center toon a little deeper in the water for better cornering? If deeper how much?

A lot of questions and thoughts here. Please share your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks,
Don

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
1st off you are only gain floatation with adding it in front of the pod you will lose speed.
If you're looking for performance and speed add one with transom you can have one added to the log your buddy has. And step up to at least a 150 .

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
yeah...90HP is way too low for a tritoon, especially a 24' one.

captmello

Captain
I added a third toon to my 24'er a couple years ago. It is the same diameter as the outer ones but I had it shortened to 18'. I also have a 90 how motor. I lost about 1 mph, down to 25 from 26, not an issue. I've been very pleased with the results. The front of the boat sits higher now and is helpful to us since we boat on a 100,000 acre lake that can be choppy. It makes for a dryer ride and I've noticed the boat is stiffer and turns tighter than before.

BigDfromTN

Petty Officer 1st Class
I added a third toon to my 24'er a couple years ago. It is the same diameter as the outer ones but I had it shortened to 18'. I also have a 90 how motor. I lost about 1 mph, down to 25 from 26, not an issue. I've been very pleased with the results. The front of the boat sits higher now and is helpful to us since we boat on a 100,000 acre lake that can be choppy. It makes for a dryer ride and I've noticed the boat is stiffer and turns tighter than before.

Higher in the front as a rule is not a big deal. We boat on the TN river and get some barge swells at times but not normally the chop you get on a lake. Well at least not for far, Just make a bend in river and its all better. As for water over the front... Can only remember that happening once in 3 years there.

The tighter turns would be handy at times.

Guess over all I will let this idea drift into the sunset. I would have to hire out all the welding and don't want to miss the time on the water between now fall.

The guy offered me a pair of toons for $350.00. I thought that was a good buy, and was thinking about the tritoon idea. At least one of the sets he had also had lifting strakes on them.

Thanks for all the replies and keeping me sane.

Don

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If they are in decent shape you could sell the one you don't use for more than $350.

Thinking of doing the same with our 1988 20' landau pontoon with a 28hp Johnson. Performance isn't an issue we use it for the family to cruise around and fish. My question is there any modifying needed to the trailer if this is done?

BigDfromTN

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thinking of doing the same with our 1988 20' landau pontoon with a 28hp Johnson. Performance isn't an issue we use it for the family to cruise around and fish. My question is there any modifying needed to the trailer if this is done?
As I understand it... NO.

You can add bunks for the third toon but it is not necessary. If you trailer it alot or long distance I would add support for it just for good measure. I trailer mine each week but only travel less than a half mile from house to ramp.