Looking at a 2.3 ltr Ford power boat - advise?

njmedic3306

Seaman
I am considering buying a 1987 Sea Sprite with a Ford 2.3 Ltr (supposidly just rebuilt w/ papers). Any advise as to what to look for as I am an outboard guy. How are these motors? Will it have enough umph to pull as skier?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Looking at a 2.3 ltr Ford power boat - advise?

Keep looking. Not only were they underpowered, but those engines were used by OMC only and only for 4 years 87-90. That's it. Many parts for that engine are NLA (No Longer Available) even as aftermarket and sense OMC has been out of buisness for 12 the last years, you know they haven't kept parts up.
Parts for the drive are available mostly through aftermarket, but you will have to fix it yourself. No new techs for OMC

howlnmad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It'd be under powered for pulling a skier. For cruising in a small craft it'd be okay. All the die-hard Merc lovers will tell you that you can't get parts but I've not had any problems. Techs are harder to find but I don't need them either. JMO.

ziggy

Admiral

i like my mercruiser, but i'd not say i'm die hard... that said. since the po ain't bought the boat yet. why would you stack the deck against yourself for repairs with nla parts + only aftermarket (copies) of many other parts. + no service available mostly by any techs should you get your self in a predicament where ya really need to have an expert repair. boats are painful at best to keep them up and running proper. only being able to get possible substandard parts (aftermarket copies) or trying to find nla parts would just add to the misery of maintaining a boat imho..

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

2.3 marine engine = one of the worst ideas on the water....screaming away at over 4000 rpm just to cruise

not only is the engine a bad idea, the OMC Cobra drive for the 2.3 had an ultra rare gear ratio specific to that motor.

Junk pushing junk.

njmedic3306

Seaman

Thanks I am running the other direction. You guys always pull through for me and I really appriciate it.