look at a boat with 1997 mercury mariner 115

geedubcpa

Petty Officer 1st Class
I plan on testing compression and then listening to the motor run. I will make sure the lower unit sends water through the pee hole.

The boat looks well cared for and the owner is in his 60's and kept in garaged during the winter. He is upgrading to a newer boat.

Every boat I have owned has had a Johnson 2 cycle - so my point of reference is from Johnson motors -

Is there anything else I should be looking at? Are there any known problems with this year and model. 97 mercury mariner 115hp 2 cycle.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or advice.

ps just realized my title looks a little silly....lol

Mi duckdown

Commander
Re: look at a boat with 1997 mercury mariner 115

Is a water test ride available. what type of boat? Fiberglass/ aluminum? check lowerend for water intrusion. Some sellers get a bit cranked up when checking such things, but oh well you are the buyer with cash.

geedubcpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is a water test ride available. what type of boat? Fiberglass/ aluminum? check lowerend for water intrusion. Some sellers get a bit cranked up when checking such things, but oh well you are the buyer with cash.

Spoke with the seller today - he is fine with a water test ride - i feel alot better with that vs seeing it run in the driveway. Thanks for the idea about checking the bottom end for water in the oil.

pinellas50

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 96 and it has been a good motor for the 3 years I have owned it. The only thing I can think of with these motors is in the oil tank. There is a magnet glued to the level inside the tank which tends to fall off with time. Once that happens it goes to the bottom and sets off the low oil alarm. This isn't a reliability issue, just an annoyance.

All that being said, with any older motor there will always be little things here and there to address. That's half the fun of ownership. Doing the regular maintenance on any marine motor and boat for that matter is extremely important for longevity. It sounds like your impression of the seller is he is one who kept on top of things.