Long Shaft Motor, Short Transom.

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, I picked up this motor, couldnt pass on the deal. But, will it work ok? I have a 16" transom (18" but it goes down in the center 2" where the motor clamps). The motor has a 20" shaft. Its an 86 Merc. 9.9hp tiller, electric start, looks like it was hardly used. I'm just a bit concerned about the shaft length. Will I run into trouble here?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: Long Shaft Motor, Short Transom.

Yes you got trouble. Your boat was designed for a short shaft motor. If you run it you won't be happy with the performance.

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

While it won't be ideal,it's not the end of the world either.
You can probably make alittle jackplate or riser to make it work perfect.

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank man, I searched and founf something called a "Mini Jacker" I'm gonna make something like it, just with a little more vertical lift to perfect my application. Thanks guys

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Engine isn't all that big and yes your drag will be high, but if you were interested in speed you would get a higher hp in the first place.

Try it then worry about change.

Mark

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I been runnin a long shaft engine on a short shaft transom. Not ideal but works well.

B-Dozer

Seaman

I ran a long shaft tiller on my 14ft flat bottom worked just fine but had some spray because she was too deep.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I ran a long shaft tiller on my 14ft flat bottom worked just fine but had some spray because she was too deep.

That's a good point. The spray deflector is below the water level.

Mark