Long casting fishing Rod and reel

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer
When I was young, my Dad never took me fishing, he was not good at it. He took me hunting and other activities, though. So I have no real fishing knowledge, except for hints and tips here and there from others. I just recently purchased a pontoon boat, and I inherited my Grandpa's Ambass. 5000, and his rod. I have had that thing professionally reworked, and use it, he would want it used, not just put up for a keepsake. <br /><br />Although I practice casting, (I guess that is what you'd call it, I'm not catching any fish) while the girls are tanning. I am trying to find a rod and reel, that I can get some distance, out of casting some lightweight tackle. I have a friend, that seems to know A WHOLE LOT about fly cast fishing, and said this is what I need to get into, but his time seems to be limited in getting with me to go shopping for a good reasonable Rod and Reel. I have another friend that prefers an open flip bail style rod and reel, and said this, next to fly rod and reel, would be the next best system of casting light-weight lures. I have a couple of Zebco's a 357, and 38 bullet, and one of the 22's ( I have not seen the 22 lately) but I broke the reel holder on the rod the 38 was on, and lost the end cover overboard on the 357, when replacing string. I put the 38 reel on the rod the 357 was on, so I could finish out the day, using two rods and reels. The wife went and got her fishing license today, and wants to start fishing sometimes also. So I figure it is Rod and Reel buying time. <br /><br />Last week I was in Sports Academy and was going to buy an open flip bail combo, but there were just so many to choose from, and I have no idea of the different models quality. I am a guy that prefers to buy quality equipment, Something that will last, but do not want to end up getting talked into buying something, with every feature under the sun, that never gets used, if you know what I mean! I also don't want a piece of junk, that needs to be replaced every year! <br /><br />I would really appreciate any comments, and suggestions, (If it is not a problem and you suggest a brand, please give a model number) Someone suggested a name brand to me and that brand had models from $39.00 into the HUNDRED's. I was like Vinny Barbarino on Welcome Back Kotter "I'M SO CONFUSED." So I decided to ask for opinions and suggestions from the experienced guys, as to finding a good light-weight casting rod and reel, with quality, for my wife and I to share. Sorry this was so long, but I really am a Dum dum when it comes to fishing, and I don't want my babe to know just how dum I am about it! <br /><br />I asked my Dad once about fishing equipment, his answer was Dynomite! I believe I'll pass on that one, although I hear it works well. I will appreciate any time you take in replying, with suggestions, hints and tips. <br /><br />If I get enough response, I might even tell you a story of one of my Younger cousins, that had to teach me how to cast the Ambass. I inherited. :rolleyes: <br /><br />Thanks in Advance, One of GodsBeast's

John Nutter

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Long casting fishing Rod and reel

GodsBeast...You are going to have to settle on what type outfit you want use,baitcast,spinning,spincast or fly.You also did not say what you were going to fish for,this will make a difference in the type outfit you buy.<br />Baitcast:I would recomend a Shimano Curado mounted on a 6'6" med. action rod<br />Spinning: I would recomend a Shimano Sahara in the 2000 size on a 6' or 6'6" med action rod<br />Spincast: Here I would say a Daiwa Gold cast 80 or 100 reel on a 5'6" or 6' med action rod<br />For fly fishing it would be hard to make this choice with such limited info.<br /> These outfits can be tweaked with a little more info. but all of them are high quality,no frills outfits that give you value for your dollar,the rod actions can be changed if need be to suite the fishing style. Hope this will give you something to think about, if you have more questions you can post or drop me an e-mail or even a call.1-770-386-3978

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Open face spinning reel = Shimano Solstace 2000, $45. <br />The TX is $25, The SPIREX is $60<br /><br />Spinning rod, for jigging or trolling, go with a graphite, medium or light, with fast action.<br /><br />For longer casts, cast and retrieve, or bobber fishing, consider a more flexible moderate action rod, like a Shakespeare Ugly Stick LITE.<br /><br />The more "whippy" the rod is, the farther your cast will go.<br /><br />For $55 to $100 you can get a decent rod and reel for freshwater. It should be sufficient for everything but Musky, Big Catfish, or Salmon.

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Reelman and Rosco, thanks for the replies, I can see your trying to help. <br /><br />Reelman I confess, I don't know the difference between Spinning and Spincast. So far as baitcast, I have got pretty decent with Grandpa's Ambass. 5000 with the bigger or heavier crank baits. So far as the type of fish, maybe a bass for me, and the wife likes brim and perch. I have already decided to get her one of those retractable long rods, that you can extend, to use a cork, and hook for the brim and perch, because she likes using worms and crickets. I also want her to have some type of casting rod also, which I can use as a reserve! I might loose MORE PARTS :rolleyes: <br />Are there different models of the Curado or the Sahara in the 2000 model?<br />Reelman, also, I would keep a large Bass, and the wife's brim and perch, and cook if she wanted. For myself, I wouldn't mind catching most anything with a little fight, just for the fun of it. Catch and Release! But having a large Tripontoon boat, that can't get into all those tight places, I want something I can cast out there with! I know my bud will probably come around with the Fly rod, he is a die hard Fly fisherman, even fishes out of a kiyak with a fly rod, so I know he can steer me in that direction. I have no objection to having one of each type, and learning how to use each. My process just got sped up when the Wife announced she bought her fishing license today at Walmart, and I am down to two rods and reels. <br /><br />Hey my buddy Roscoe, none of the prices you quoted are out of my range, and I did see a Shimano reel on a Ugly Stick lite rod, and I was impressed as all get out with its feel and looks, at Sports Academy, I don't remember if the reel was a Solstace 2000, and its price was $39.00 if I remember right. I'll go back and check. I remember I didn't buy it, because I didn't know all the in's and outs about steel ball bearings, switch side handles, etc. That is when all the CONFUSTION started setting in! Not knowing anything about flip bail reels, I decided to wait, before buying on impulse, and finding out I bought something just above a Snoopy Rod and reel model :D <br /><br />Also, if this is any help, I am fishing in lower Louisiana area, I have heard of a Salmon, but I don't know of them down here (We might have some, but I don't know about them) I never heard of a Musky! But we do have them BIG CATFISH. I have a friend that keeps me supplied in Catfish, so I'd probably opt to fish for a Bass, brim, perch, crappie (also known down here as sac-a-lait) or I might even like to go with my friend and try my luck on Redfish, or Speckled Trout, saltwater. But mostly just about any Freshwater sportfish, that will give a little fight. Another friend told me of a fish down here that has a whole bunch of teeth pointed in different directions, that is a lot of fun to catch, but that I better have good gloves and pliers to get the hook out, and best bet is to enjoy the fight, and cut the line as I pull it out of the water, cause he can put a world of hurt on you. Hope this helps with the type of fish. <br /><br />I also always loved solid rods, but now having this tritoon, I have a nice plastic enclosure for paddle's, nets, poles, etc. but I will probably have to get a two piece rod system for it to fit in. My solid long rod, my Ambass is on, I usually lay on the floor, next to my Captain's chair, so I can keep an eye on it. Other wise later, I may invent a log rod holder, if you think the two pieces are not of good quality.<br /><br />Hope this answers your questions, that I didn't answer in my first Novel. You guys are helping me, so if you need more Info. just ask. I really appreciate the help. <br /><br />By the way, Dad came over tonight, I told him I was asking the experts for fishing equipment advise. He laughed and said he still prefers Dynomite! :rolleyes: :D <br /><br />Thanks in advance, GodsBeast

FLATHEAD

Captain

If you are Going to cast really light 1/16 OZ and 1/8 OZ jigs and small rooster tails as well as heavier lures you would be better off with a spinning outfit. I would think a Daiwa Laguna or the Shimano sahara in 1500 or 2000 might be a good reel to start with and should last a good long time. I would stick with a six foot one piece rod. A berkley lighting rod is not a bad choice for a first rod. If you have your heart set on a bait caster the curado cant be beat. If you just want to get an elcheapo one to see how you like a spinning set up you can go to wall mart and pick up a combo for 25 bucks. By the sounds of it you might be chasing all different kinds of fish. You may want to consider an ultra light for casting the small stuff like perch and bream. And the heavier rod for the bass and cats and such. Good luck and keep those lines tight.

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Flathead, I believe I will try one of each, a good light casting spinning reel, let my friend handle the fly stuff, and get a little heavier, set up for moderate stuff. I have got pretty decent with the Ambass, for casting heavier stuff. <br /><br />I have to say, Shimano keeps popping up here, and Diawa twice. I will have to check out the Spirex, the Curado, and the Sahara. <br /><br />I would assume, these all have steel ball bearings, that is what I want right, smooth, easy maintance, etc. Or is there anything I should avoid like the plauge?<br /><br />Who knows, maybe if I get an extra, I might even talk my old dad into making a cast, when he goes for a ride! NO Dynomite on my boat :D

FLATHEAD

Captain

Now thats what I like to see. GodsBeast Already needs one more rod. :cool: Fast learner!!!<br /> Make sure the wife learns this early it will help in the future. No matter how many rigs you have you could always use one more. :D

Link

Rear Admiral

I'm going to throw my 2 cents in only because no one mentioned it. Since I only buy cheap equipment this is a feature I have to look for on spinning reels.<br />I look for two things: First a little lever so that when you start to cast you can flip open the bail and grab the line with one finger (index)<br />Second a reel that ALWAYS stops or comes to rest with that lever next to the rod.<br /><br />OK a third consideration...and yes guys this is going to cost me this next Jan at the boat show.<br /><br />When you get your Toon all set up with electric down riggers (Scotty) :D you will want your reels to have TWO Drag settings! Two buttons/levers or One that has two positions..<br />IE: One setting for letting the ball down and the other for playing the fish.<br /><br />Hope this helps to add to the confusion :) <br /><br />EDIT: Forgot to to add I totally agree on the 6-6.5 one piece rod and flatheads last remark for always needing one more pole! :)

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Here I go again. I replied once, had the story done just right and got denied to post for using to many smiley faces, I guess.<br /><br />Flathead, your really going to love me now. I have made a new decision. Going to buy one of each, moderate range two piece rod and reel combo's so they will fit in the compartment, and leave them there. Then I am going to buy 1 of each good quality 1 piece rods (probably 6.5) and a good quality reel to put on it. Then buy a vertical rod holder, to put the one pieces in when planning to just go fishing, without sun tanners on board. I'll take the good ones out of the boat, when we have a group, or when we are going kneeboarding, and the breakdowns will be there if the mood should strike and time permits. Also it won't be as much of a loss if some Goober, should loose reel parts.<br /><br />OK Link, I'm guessing the electric downriggers are the fishing poles, when they get tangled on a submerged object. If that is the case, I am equiped with them already, and I am buying more! My toon is also equiped with tree shakers also, a couple of times after casting, when I pulled on my fishing rod, I noticed a limb kept moving on the bank, in perfect harmony!<br /><br />Link, funny you should mention 2 position drag. Good advise. With the 38 bullet, I realized that it would only cast about the same length each time, then the line would catch. I figured the line was bad, and changed it! With new line it did the same thing. So finally I made a cast and had that perfect tree harmony thing going on, so I just reeled my 25 foot tritoon to my lure and unhooked it. At that point, I felt the lure was worth more than the dam* reel. So I need to check into a real good drag system. I told my dad about the drag system not holding up and he suggested that Harbor Freight has some real good 12 volt wenches in stock :rolleyes: <br /><br />So, let me tell you about my learning experience with fishing. One of my Uncles, and his son, which is my YOUNGER cousin, offered to take me fishing, because Dad was not interested. Uncle said to me to bring everything I've got with me and he'd give me some tips. We get to their Camp on the river and Uncle has to leave to help someone else out, leaving Aunt, and the rest of us behind. At the time I was in High school, my younger cousin in elementry. You know back then that meant a lot! Now the only equipment I had was my Grandpa's Ambass, that he left to me, and a Zebco rod and reel combo, that had a Snoopy sticker on it from when I was young. The sticker is a whole other story. My younger cousin says, I'll show you how to fish. We strike out to the water. He points out a stump sticking out the water and says cast next to that. I grab the Ambass and let go with a sling. My younger cousin says, "Yep, that is what we call one Ugly spider Web." After some fumbling around trying to untangle the mess, my cousin whips out his pocket knife and says there is only one way to fix a spider web like that. I told him that I had just bought brand new string. He said Man this has got to be at least 30# test line! Heck, I didn't know, I figured I might hook a 30# fish and I didn't want to loose it. I finally gave in and wacked all the line off, and he gave me some new line, better for casting, handed me the rod back and said, you can't cast it like the Snoopy reel, you have ta cast it with your tumb on the reel, to keep it from spider webbing. I finally got the nack of it. So as we continued, he began telling me tips of High water, falling water, clear water, cloudy water, temperature rising and falling, Moon stages, fishing the points, what color lure to use in each of those stages, etc, etc, by the end of the day, all I could remember from his words of wisdom was, if you can't keep your thumb on the Ambass, your better off sticking with the Snoopy reel :D <br /><br />So now that I am older, and still don't know diddly about fishing, my new Motto is, If you don't know much about fishing, dazzle them with Equipment! With yall's help, I might pull it off! <br /><br />Thanks for the help, GodsBeast

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

I want to thank everyone for their help! I bought the Shimano Sahara 2000, and a Berkley Lightning 6.6 medium light action Rod. Man this thing will cast! I moaned an groaned a bit at first, dang thing casted so far, I caught every limb and debris that was on the bank, till I got used to it. <br /><br />Anyway, first trip out, I tried to get the wife to use it also. My plan was to go back and buy HER ONE (HA HA yall really know what that means, A spare one) but she likes the dad burn zebco RL3 reel I have, and made me buy her a zebco 33 to put on the extra rod I already had, when the 357 Zebco bit the dust. So, my new line of thinking is you have 2 rods and reels, and I'll have 2 Rods and Reels. Thinking of buying another Shimano Sahara 2000! <br /><br />Unless, your more experienced guys, think I might should investigate another brand or model. :D <br /><br />Oh I also caught 2 bass in 5 minutes with the Shimano. I also caught a bluegill. The bass were not 14" so it was catch and release. The bluegill I just turned loose, but it was a nice catch. The wife, using the RL3 and a little light action rod, actually caught a 2 to 3 lb Catfish, with a blue and white bettle spin, and gold spinner!

John Nutter

Seaman Apprentice

Godsbeast...You did realllllll good,and you made a fine choice on the Shimano.Buying the second one would also be a good choice!!You really can't go wrong with a Shimano.

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Reelman, seems like a lot of folks here like them. I am going to get another set up! You really think I should get another Sahara 2000, or maybe upgrade some in the line, or stick with this.

ebbtide176

Commander

i have 2 sahara2000's and they seem to do very well. i put one on a 6' the other on a 6'6" rod.

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Ebb, I am going to buy another Shimano 2000, and I might just try that 6' rod. I love the 6.6 it works great, but I have a 6' long container box,<br />It is not a real rod box, I guess it was made to put the paddle and stuff in, but it's nice and wide also, but a 6' rod fits in it without taking it apart. So I might have to give a 6' a shot, and It will turn into a spare if I don't like it and have to buy another! :D

ebbtide176

Commander

GB, i already had some spinning reels, but couldn't believe the diff in a good one vs the other cheaper ones i had. i tie topwater & crankbaits on the 6'6" and fling them max dist. and i use shortrange stuff on the 6'. especially for small jigs & worms i want to throw under docks.<br /><br />if you ever notice someone having probs with a spinning reel that won't close the bail arm completely, you'll probably find that they have always used 'spinning the handle to snap close the bail arm'. just a tip to help you get long life from your reel- close the bail with your fingers. this will also help avoid putting loops in the line. JMHO ;)

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Ebb, didn't know that, was wondering why I was already spraying reel with WD 40 already because the bail would catch at times trying to close it with the handle. Will try fliping the bail the other way now.

ebbtide176

Commander

yeah, thats a lot of stress when the bail snaps closed, which ends up wearing out the latch & breaking the spring. and that 1/2 turn of the handle will add up each time, until you heave the lure along with a couple of twisted loops knotted up in the line... i learned the hard way too ;)

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Yep, going buy another Shimano Sahara 2000. I think I might get a 6' rod for this one though, augh what the heck I'll get one 6' and another 6.6 rod. <br /><br />Now, what is all the hype of that 30lb test string that is still small in size like the smaller test wt. fishing line? What kind do I have put on my new reel? I'll let them fill both spools with the good stuff, What kind? <br /><br />The wife does not like the spinning reel. She wants to stick with the smaller Spin cast. I'm hoping when I buy another Sahara, that she will try one again. If she likes it, I might just end up with all Sahara's, and just let the other ones wear out and dispose! <br /><br /> I have a friend that has 6 Sahara 2000's, but he likes to use elcheapo rods. He said he caught a 30 lb Red on his cheap $7.00 rod, and his freind broke a real expensive Rod, on a smaller fish on the same trip! So I might consider a less expensive 6' rod, and stick with the Berkley lightning 6'6". Maybe I'll end up with 6 myself.

ebbtide176

Commander

i can't knock the pricey rods. i used some st croix one day, and they are lighter and just feel more responsive. but dang, you really are getting down to the nitty gritty there. when i first ran into oletimers that knew where to catch the monster swamp bass, they only used Kmarts biggest zebco's they could find. so i guess you have a better chance of actually boating that "lifetime fish" that JB so rightly described- with an expensive rod. but then again, don't feel inferior for using a dadgum willow branch with a woundup piece of cardboard either. its alot of getting a bite, then getting a lucky break while reeling 'em in.<br /><br />i think the lightnin rod is a good rod. the ones i had were with a very 'soft' tip and whipped a lure out like a champ. pls remember to check your drag everytime you pick up the rod. ;) <br /><br />my story is that i have a couple of allstar baitcaster rods, and then picked up galyans im8 class rods for my sahara's. but i caught them on sale, free with purchase of the shimano's. :) <br /><br />i like flourocarbon lines because they don't seem to 'loop' up- line memory is nil. but they are hard to see, and sometimes you want to see the line. like with floating worms, shallow crankbaits. i don't know what would be best for you. :)

ebbtide176

Commander

just to post an opinion:<br /><br />zebco still makes good reels, if you avoid the lowest of the line. i asked for a 303 for my last christmas present. its my trout special. if you find a zebco with the case made out of metal, they usually become the do-it-all reel. i learned how to fish with them :) JMHO