"Loctite Type A" and "Perfect Seal" Alternatives for Lower Unit Assembly?

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
"Loctite Type A" and "Perfect Seal" Alternatives for Lower Unit Assembly?

My 1982 Mariner Service Manual says to use Loctite Type A on the sealing surface of the shift shaft boot. It also says use Loctite Type A on the non-sealing surfaces of the drive shaft and prop shaft seals and on the threads of the bolts that mount the water pump and the lower unit. Loctite Type A doesn't seem to be available these days.

What do you guys use? Would the shift shaft boot actually take the same stuff I'd put on the bolt threads? What about the seal installation?

The manual also says to use Perfect Seal (which I assume is a Mercury or Quicksilver product) for the gaskets. Can I just use a Permatex product for the gaskets?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: "Loctite Type A" and "Perfect Seal" Alternatives for Lower Unit Assembly?

Are you talking about the shift boot on an I/O, or the bushing seal around the shift shaft on an outboard or I/O gearcase? Shiftshaft boots for merCruisers use a special bellows adhesive.

If you want to seal the bushing, you may use some Permetex #3 Aviation Gasket. Normally waterpump nuts and gearcase nuts are nylon locknuts, and do not require anything. Permatex #3 can be substituted for perfect seal. Use grease on the propshaft splines.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

I should have been more specific. Its a 30 HP Mariner outboard. The boot is the rubber one on the shift shaft, where it goes into the gear housing, that is supposed to prevent water from getting into the gears. The manual indicates the Loctite Type A should be used on the portion of the boot that is inserted into a recess in the gearcase.

So, should I use the Permetex #3 Aviation Gasket on this boot? It seems more reasonable than using a product that seems to be intended as a thread locker (the Loctite Type A).

On my motor (maybe because it is a 1982 model?) the waterpump and the lower unit are secured with bolts and lockwashers. The last time I had it disassembled I used the the blue loctite on those bolts. Is the blue loctite a reasonable substitute for the Loctite Type A?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I would think the blue locktight would be fine on those bolts.
None of my Mercs ever had a boot like that. One would think the Permetex would work OK on it.

Brewman61

Ensign

For the Mercury Perfect Seal, I use Permatex Avation Form-A-Gasket liquid sealant, bought it at the local NAPA.
Cost about one fourth of the Merc stuff.

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

For the Mercury Perfect Seal, I use Permatex Avation Form-A-Gasket liquid sealant, bought it at the local NAPA.
Cost about one fourth of the Merc stuff.

^^^1^^^ Use the Permatex silicone Form-a-gasket, Aviation liquid form a gasket and "Blue" locktite for all the sealing / locking needs. Don't use the "Red" locktite thread locker. You'll need heat to break it loose. Have had zero problems doing this for 30 years since the silcone and thread locker have been on the market.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

^^^1^^^ Use the Permatex silicone Form-a-gasket, Aviation liquid form a gasket and "Blue" locktite for all the sealing / locking needs. Don't use the "Red" locktite thread locker. You'll need heat to break it loose. Have had zero problems doing this for 30 years since the silcone and thread locker have been on the market.

Which would you suggest for sealing the rubber boot to the aluminum gear housing? Aviation form a gasket or Permatex silicone? Or would either work OK?

04fxdwgi

Which would you suggest for sealing the rubber boot to the aluminum gear housing? Aviation form a gasket or Permatex silicone? Or would either work OK?

Absolutely the Aviators....... The Silicone can cause it to slip off, where as the Aviators sort of glues it there.

Bondo

Staff member

Absolutely the Aviators....... The Silicone can cause it to slip off, where as the Aviators sort of glues it there.

Ayuh,.... The stuff makes an interestin' thread sealant/ locker, because of that fact....

It'll hold some vibration prone screws,.... because it sticky....

'n it works Better than Never-seize, at the jobs intended for Never-seize,.... because it's so gooey, 'n forever soft...
'ell,... I use it on dump truck lug nuts now a days, rather than Never-seize.....;)

I just wish it would last longer in the brush-in-a-cans,...
darn brushes keep fallin' apart, 'n ya can't move the cap anymore because of drippage...:mad:

04fxdwgi

Ayuh,.... The stuff makes an interestin' thread sealant/ locker, because of that fact....

It'll hold some vibration prone screws,.... because it sticky....

'n it works Better than Never-seize, at the jobs intended for Never-seize,.... because it's so gooey, 'n forever soft...
'ell,... I use it on dump truck lug nuts now a days, rather than Never-seize.....;)

I just wish it would last longer in the brush-in-a-cans,...
darn brushes keep fallin' apart, 'n ya can't move the cap anymore because of drippage...:mad:

Keep a set of slip joint pliars next to the can just for that reason. HAHAHAHA.

The Aviators Permatex is, I think, the best sealant to have come down the pike. Perfect for intake gaskets too, because gas doesn't effect it and the gasket comes off nice and easy when time to replace. Glues the gaskets to valve covers, oil pans and timing chain covers, allowing easier installation by stopping the gaskets from moving around during the installation and comes off there easily too, if need be.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

You can go to the Locktite www and read up on their products. Locktite blue is an adhesive that is activated by pressure. It is primarily intended for thread locking in cases where the fastener will be disconnected at some time in the future.....hence removable. As stated, if you have a nylon locking ring on your nut you need nothing else....except the prop shaft on a lot of/most/all Mercs has a locking ring tab also. Red is designed for permanent locking and if used and removal is required later it is a tough job and heat is usually required. Don't know what type A referred to in the manual is either.

I would assume that the interference fit of the seal to the LU housing constitutes adequate pressure so as to cause the blue to set.

Autozone for one has it and probably the Permatex too. I know they have #1 and #2.

Mark

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

Since I'm waiting for my new boot to arrive I did a little experiment with the old boot. Wiped it clean (just a good wiping with a paper towel - no solvent) and put a glob of marine silicone on one side and a glob of Permatex gasket sealer (just the regular stuff, not the aviation stuff) on the other side. Did this last night.

This morning, the marine silicone was set. It had a pretty good bond to the rubber boot, and took some effort to peel it off with my thumb nail. When it did come off, it came off clean.

The Permatex was still soft and sticky. Couldn't get it off clean with a dry rag. Looks like the only way to completely remove it would be with solvent on a rag.

My thinking, at this time, is the Permatex aviation sealant will do the trick on the rubber boot. So, I'll get a can and probably use that (appears I can use it for a number of other applications also).

Still interested in other thoughts from those who have far more experience in this area than me.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

Here (in reverse order) is my query to the folks at Loctite and their response.

Hi Art,

Im not 100% certain what that Type A would have been, but it is not a standard product on our offering any longer.

We do certainly have options for this and I would primarily recommend our Loctite Gasket Sealant #1, or Gasket Sealant #2. These are meant to bond and seal gaskets to metal flanges. The difference between the two is that #1 is a faster setting product that solidifies and bonds rigid, where the #2 is a little slower and remains tacky and pliable. Both have shown to retain their properties when exposed to sea water.

I have attached the data sheets for these products for you to view.

Kind regards,

Braydon
Henkel Loctite Tech Service

Description: My 1982 outboard motor specifies using "Loctite Type A" on a rubber boot where it inserts into the aluminum housing of the lower unit. The purpose would be to seal the boot against water intrusion.

It appears that Loctite Type A is no longer made. Do you have a current product that would be suitable for sealing a rubber boot against an aluminum housing (note: will be exposed to sea water)?

So, I'm comfortable with my decision to go with one of the "Gold Standards" on this site - the Permatex Aviation Gasket stuff. Now all I have to do is find some. My local NAPA dealer doesn't have it. Any other suggestions for a source?

1980Coronado

This stuff is great for boat applications where vibration can be an issue. I have specified this product on fasteners installed in hydraulic cylinders used on Vibratory Pile Driving Equipment. I have also used it on bolts and nuts that kept coming lose on my boat....they don't come lose anymore.

http://www.vibra-tite.com/

http://www.vibra-tite.com/threadlockers.php

[url]http://www.vibra-tite.com/threadsealants.php

[/URL]

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

Just getting ready to order the Permatex Avaiation stuff on-line, w/about a $10 shipping charge :(, when I checked the West site. They have it on-line and I'm thinking probably also in the store. Since I'm going by the store on Thursday I'll stop by and hopefully get some (haven't received all my parts yet, so won't be a delay).

You guys had a number of good suggestions and it seems to me that all would work. I still think I'll go with the Permatex Avaiation Gasket Sealer because, as I previously noted, on this site it seems to be the "Gold Standard" for this type of application.

Brewman61

Ensign

Do you have a NAPA auto parts store around you? That's where I got my Permatex Avaition stuff, for maybe $5 give or take. Container even has NAPA's name on it.