lock n dams chicago area ??

chifloater

Cadet
ok whats their procedure with recreational vessels?? I know the barges get first crack into it, but if they are not there what is the cycle?? number of boats before opening it or every half hour?? anyone know??

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: lock n dams chicago area ??

I'm in Minnesota, but imagine since locks and dams are mostly under the direction of the U.S. Corps of Engineers that the rules are fairly uniform.

Disclosure: while I'm anxious to go along the Mississippi River and use the system of nearby locks and dams, I have yet to do so. New to boating last year. Nevertheless, the safe boating course I took had instructions that I can paraphrase here.

When approaching the lock:
o Yes, commercial traffic always has priority over recreational boats.
o Standoff at least 400 feet away from the lock and wait for the flashing light signal before entering.
o Let the lock attendant know of your desire to go through the lock with one prolonged blast followed by one short blast of your boat's whistle, or by calling the lock attendant using your VHF marine radio on Channel 14.
o Check the lock's traffic light. Stay well clear of the lock when it is red; approach when it is amber; enter the lock when it is green.

When inside the lock:
o Have all aboard wear PFDs.
o Put out your boat fenders.
o Handle the line hung from above hand over hand as the boat rises or falls with the water level (if the lock has one).
o Follow the directions of the lock attendant (P.A. system)
o Maintain your position in the lock unless otherwise directed by the lock attendant.
o Exit the lock when so instructed by the attendant.

There are others aboard this forum who have done this and can provide some tips for you, but this should get you started. I might suggest you actually visit one of the locks you intend on using (visit by land, that is) and watch how others successfully use the system.

The only thing I might add is to be extremely careful when navigating a river, especially when heading downstream. Make sure your boat is in top running order. Keep a sharp lookout at all times for signs of a dam ahead. The water may be calm where you are and a hundred yards ahead, but beyond that the current may be picking up speed.

It seems like at least once a year we read about some poor souls who didn't head the warning markers or whose boat crapped out and they ended up going over the dam. The worst are the so-called "low-head" dams, also known as "drowning machines." They are hard to spot from upstream. Go over one of them and you could get sucked into the backroller of water with little hope of survival.

So, now you know why I said at the beginning that I'm "anxious" to do this. -Ken

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just went thru the Chicago river lock on a tour boat and the it seems to me that you sit at or near the entrance to the lock or hail the lock, the lock operator will give open the gate the light will turn green you go in at your turn and in about 3 minutes you'll be coming out the other side.

I would have thought no wake on the Chicago river but there were plenty of boats going at a good clip.

Couple of pictures.
Waiting on the river for the lock to open, Lake Shore Drive and the city.
IMG_1430.jpg

Chicago Harbor lock from the river side.
IMG_1429.jpg

Lock entrance and gate from the lake Michigan side, Big John and Navy Pier in the backround.
IMG_1524.jpg

Line secured.
IMG_1449.jpg

Cruisers.
IMG_1386.jpg

Sears tower observation cubes.
IMG_1592.jpg

What a great river and plan to get my boat down there for sure next year, maybe launch out of somewhere hoping like Evanston or something.
Waukegan is a bit of a haul.
We had alot of fun cruising the Milwaukee river and I will say the Milwaukee river is much much more boat friendly with free docks and restaurants and bars all over.

Have fun.

chifloater

Cadet

Well guys , I was long on my way, before I got any responses on the forum, but thanks anyway...Well it is like this:

keep back away from locks clear from the gate to let other side thru when it does open

when all boats are clear the horn will sound off to let you know to come in

put your bumpers on and tuck yourself against the wall or float in the middle

i was told buy one boater that you needed to wear a pfd, but when others showed up
no one did or were asked too??

then when the gates open up , horn sounds off, and your on your way..

also, there are no dams on this river, so no driving off of anything here,

thanks everyone for the info, at least in in the system now , so if someone else looks this up