Livewell question

rverano

Cadet
I just bought an 84 Sylvan fishing boat. It's my first boat with a livewell. Can somebody explain how this setup works. I understand the basics. It has the port in the back with the pump. There is a shutoff valve in the bottom inside of the tank. There is also a big port on the side of the tank to the outside of the boat.<br />Is this an overflow port? Appreciate any help.

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: Livewell question

Dont know your boat but sounds like you have it right to me. Useally have a drain plug or shut off valve in the bottom. Also have an overflow port so can not over fill the tank. Most I have seen also have a switch for the fill motor. In one position it will run or fill the tank then run out the overflow. In another position it has a timer so it will fill for 1 minute and off for 5 minutes, some of the timer are adjustable. This allow you to put in some fresh water and keep the water cool without runing the motor full time and running down your battery.<br />Some also have a second motor to circulate the water with out adding water. Some have a Y valve so you can throw a lever and fill the tank then change postion and circulate water. <br /><br />Handy to be able to circulate water sometimes like if you have some fresh water bait but run out to the salt and do not want to pump saltwater into the tank that would kill your bait.