Live video feed of a watering hole in africa

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Live video feed of a watering hole in africa

:'( All I ever see is an empty pond with a few white bugs flickering past the screen.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Boomyal said:
:'( All I ever see is an empty pond with a few white bugs flickering past the screen.

Yea that is because it is night time there now.
Look at it about 10 or 11 tonight.

ricksrster

Commander

I'm going to try again. The most I've. seen is a gazelle

Link

Rear Admiral

Boomyal said:
Hey Boomer (can I call you that) :)
Check it out between 8:00 and 9:00 PM and later here on the Left coast. err West Coast.
Almost every night (our time) there is someone on the camcorder.
I'm assuming a camcorder.. with maybe a 20X zoom (slr) and a 90X digital zoom.. pixels get fuzzy after 18-20X (SLR) zoom.
Just my take.. and still very cool!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Dang, it's snowing to beat 90 on Grouse Mountain.

18rabbit

Captain

How come nothing in Africa has to get up in the middle of the night to get a drink of water?

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

18rabbit said:
How come nothing in Africa has to get up in the middle of the night to get a drink of water?

I thought that night was when the lions and tigers hunted.

ZmOz

Captain

EricKems said:
18rabbit said:

I thought that night was when the lions and tigers hunted.

Aren't they thirsty? ;)

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer

Hi,

O.K. boys and Girls. Africa 101

We are in summer and the temperatures can get pretty warm. As a result most animals will tend to drink in the early morning but mostly in the late afternoons after the heat of the day.

Additionally most animals become very inactive between about 11:00 and 15:00, as a result of the heat of the day they tend to lay up in the cool of trees.

What is often overlooked is the fact that when there have been recent rains there is sufficient "ground water" which is manifest as lots of water puddles in the bush. This dynamic stops the need of animals to travel from watering hole to watering hole. They "bombshell" and disperse deep in the bush where they can graze / browse and have abundant water. In my experience after it rains game viewing is generally atrocious. I don't know if they have had rain recently.

I must confess that this hole is QUIET.

Predators, although they drink water, have less need than ruminants as a lot of moisture is gained through blood rich meat.

It is not a Zoo so keep watching, you could get very lucky and even see a kill. It is in the lap of the game gods. I have been visiting the Kruger National Park for some 25 years now at a frequency of 3 to 4 time per year and have yet to see a kill, I am a keen game viewer. My friend on his first visit filmed a kill .... hate him.

Cheers
Andrew

i386

Captain

I haven't seen any animals yet except two birds in the water. I did see what appeared to be vehicle head lights. They came almost into view and then disappeared.

SpinnerBait_Nut

And it's still snowing on Grouse Mountain.:^:^

crunch

Commander

Don't feel so bad SBN, snow level here tonight is 1000 ft.... I'm at 50', 8)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I finally checked in at 9 pm PST. Someone must be maning the camera. It started out with a panorama of the hole then moved over to follow this short, black, slug like creature creeping thru the flora. A lot of bird sounds are accompanying the picture.