Little Auto Mechanic experience...

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer
So I go over to get some new tires at Wheel Works across town and he asks me if I wanted the free inspection. I said no, just tires please. He says, it might take about 2 hours. I said to get knew tires? He says, "yep".

So I walk over to my barber and get a haircut, then head over to the outdoor pro shop, where I get a call about my car. He says my cv boot is completely blown and I need the whole right front half shaft replaced. I say, "just want the tires, thanks. I'll take it to my normal mechanic." He then goes on about how there's some other stuff too. I repeat, "I'll just take it to my own mechanic". He says, "we can fix all this stuff for just under $1000 right now. I repeat, "JUST THE TIRES PLEASE!!" and am starting to get a bit pissed. So, I walk over there and get my car and he hands me the bill for my tires and a list of all of the other stuff I need done with their prices etc..He says I need new rotors on the back and a brake job. I say "no thanks", again, and leave.

Well, I knew I needed the rotors and brakes for the rear, so I found a coupon for a rear brake job for $99 and figure that and the rotor price will save me some money. I head down to Firestone, where they take my phone number and what do you know, they have me in the computer because Wheel Works is their "sister company". I say, I just want the rear brakes done. He says, "do you want the inspection?" NO! Don't even bother taking the front tires off etc. Just the back. He says, it will be about 3 hours. "WOW, ok, I'll be down the street at the mall with my family. Give me a call when you're done." In hour and 45 minutes later, he calls me and says "you need new rotors on the back". I said yeah, I know, what's that going to run? With the coupon, it's going to be $442.07. I told him to put my tires on and I'd be right there to pick up my car. I get there and the front tires are off and the hood id open. What the hell?? lol. So, I take my car and leave with my invoice if I want to come back for the work. They didn't even do the back regular brakes in an hour and 45 minutes, lol.

So, not being able to use the coupon, I head over to my regular mechanic and make an appointment the following Thursday, which is today. Dropped my car off today and got it back with the new pads and rotors for $212 out the door. It turns out I do need the front right cv boot, but nothing else on the list.

In the end, it all worked out, but here's what's bugging me.

Wheel Works and Firestone are sister companies and I'm sitting here looking at the three bills and invoices.

Wheel works says I need:

Half Shaft, front right: $284.99
Tie Rod Ends, left inner: $212. 68
Alignment: $97.99
Rear Braking System: $359.97 with each rotor costing $79.99 each
Grand total with tax: $994.98

Firestone (Wheel Works sister company) says:

Standard Brake Service Rear: $442.07 with each rotor costing $106.99 each.

Bill's Automotive who has been working on my families cars since before I was driving (no we don't get deals)

Rear Brake Service with the same parts as the other places: $212.65
with each rotor costing $30.51

Then he checked the rest.

Tie Rod Ends, left inner: Everything is fine
Alignment: Everything is fine
Right Shaft, front right: Just need a CV Boot, quoted about $150 total.

So here I am, sitting at home wonder where the hell these people get off ripping people off like this. Things that don't need to be done, doing more than is needed, overcharging on parts and even out charging companies they work together with on the same part by around $30, which is already almost $50 over what the part actually runs.

I know shady mechanics are nothing new to the world, but staring at these invoices and listening to the give quotes of ridiculous amounts to both me and the people in line around me, I just needed to vent a bit. How do these people sleep at night, knowing they just ripped off some 80 year old grandma who is most likely on a tight month to month...makes me sick.

/rant... :)

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: Little Auto Mechanic experience...

Its not shady mechanics, its called upselling and it isn't solely mechanics that do it, you are probably upsold and don't even realize it, lets say you pull into the drive through at mcdonalds, would you like to try....Upselling, its the way things are now, used to be good marketing now its a pain in our backside.

also changing the half shaft should be stricken, not knowing the age or mileage of your car just knowing the CV Boot was destroyed I would have changed the half shaft or recommended you change it too, not sure why your mechanic just changed the CV Boot when the whole dang shaft with new boot installed probably cost twice(rebuilt) what the boot cost. Most half shafts have two CV joints on them, so replacing them is good food for thought, they only take about a half hour per side to replace also.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

i'm a mechanic, I work for a garage, I get paid squat, the prices the garage charge make me cringe, I find it hard to believe but people pay it. its a job, buys me a little boat gas, and some groceries. I would go on my own but then I get no work, so I work for this garage, I think maybe most think if they don't get charged a lot the work isn't as good:noidea: what makes people tick. also if I see something that needs fixed, I have to let the customer know, if I don't and it causes a wreck, then they want to hold me liable

Last edited:

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Its not shady mechanics, its called upselling and it isn't solely mechanics that do it, you are probably upsold and don't even realize it, lets say you pull into the drive through at mcdonalds, would you like to try....Upselling, its the way things are now, used to be good marketing now its a pain in our backside.

also changing the half shaft should be stricken, not knowing the age or mileage of your car just knowing the CV Boot was destroyed I would have changed the half shaft or recommended you change it too, not sure why your mechanic just changed the CV Boot when the whole dang shaft with new boot installed probably cost twice(rebuilt) what the boot cost. Most half shafts have two CV joints on them, so replacing them is good food for thought, they only take about a half hour per side to replace also.

My mechanic has been working on our family's cars since before I could drive. I trust he's doing the right thing for my safety and for my wallet. Wheel Works quoted me $144 on labor for that half shaft replacement that you say is a half an hour per side. Even when I asked the people at Firestone to just do the back end, they took my front tires off and went under my hood, just looking for something to tell me would need fixing, even when I asked them not to. You call it upselling and that's fine to a point, but charging $106.99 for a $31 part is only gotten away with because the buyer doesn't know any better. Also, when you tell someone something needs to be done to their car that doesn't, because you think they don't know any better, or try and talk them into getting something done LONG before it needs to be done, upselling has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Upselling is asking if you want fries with that. These guys disregarded a customers request. It has nothing to do with safety, just trying to scare someone into buying more than they need or want. And all they have to do is write on the invoice or work request, which ngt would have signed, that the customer refused the "safety inspection". Then they are not liable and in the free and clear.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

This is why I work on my own cars.

If a CV boot is split, it gets a new/rebuily half shaft. There is as much labor putting on the boot as there is putting a a rebuilt shaft. Hopefully he didn't put on one of those split boots.

Last edited:

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

I thought you worked at a GM dealer.

yes, in the garage, GM and Toyota. im certified GM though and drive only Fords:facepalm: if I see steel belts sticking out of a tire for example, I have to get a price for replacement at parts dept. say its listed at parts for $100, they add 30%, I then go to the service writer who multiplies it by 2 the adds 30%, then goes to the customer and says hey we have this tire in stock, only $300 each:rolleyes: then they pay me $3 to install

Last edited:

matt167

Captain

Those places are like that, and the reason why my vehicles have never been in a Midas, Firestone, or any other chain lube shop.. If a CV joint still has grease in it and is cought in time, a boot replacement is a good way to go, but if it's obviously been a while, 1/2 shaft only.

I only use a local shop for stuff I don't feel like doing or don't have time to and he does what I ask but does tell me if he see's something wrong and often, I just have him fix it... Long time ago I was with my mom getting something done on her car and they did an 'inspection' which included an alignment check. They told her it needed an alignment and she was almost ready to tell them ok, but I asked for the printout and when I did the guy was kinda nervous going and getting it, and when he got it for me the sheet spec'd out almost perfect. Not just 'in the green' like a lot of shops go for.. Needless to say, I told the guy where to shove it, had them drop the jacks and she never went back to that shop. Like above, they hadn't actually started the service they were actually getting paid for.

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Only time my truck goes to a garage is for a state inspection, tires or warranty/recalls. I was a fleet mechanic. Worked on all kinds of vehicles, bumper to bumper. I even have a license to do state safety inspections. I've had guys in garages tell me all kinds of goofy stuff during inspections. Tell me I needed this or that. I can shut them up real quick. Unfortunately, many folks, men and women alike, have no idea what's going on when a mechanic tells them something. All they can say is fix it. Case in point: A guy my wife works with went to get his Trailblazer inspected. They told him it needed front brake pads and an outer tie rod end. Gave him some crazy price around $600. She told him to call me. I sent him to get the parts and he spent right around $100. He brought it to my house and dropped it off for me to fix. I called him about an hour later and told him to come get it. All the repairs cost him was parts. Saved the guy $500. I never knew I could charge $500 for an hours work. The best advice I can give is find a local shop/mechanic that you can trust. Stay away from the big chain stores. They are out to make as much money as possible. The local guy is too, but he gets his on return customers that trust him.

slag

Chief Petty Officer

It is completely shady, charging more than double for parts AND trying to repair things that don't need repaired. Halfshaft boot is probably 20 bucks or so, a rebuilt halfshaft at least $90.00. If the shaft isn't dry and/or clicking, just repack the joint and put a new boot on. One of the reasons I do my own repair work on EVERYTHING is because you just cant trust people. People that take pride in their work and want to help you out are harder and harder to find. What the OP found were crooks.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

that's why now days when I get tires replaced I take the rims into the shop not the vehicle. Apparently they can't understand the phrase...just do the tires!! This way it is all they can do.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

that's why now days when I get tires replaced I take the rims into the shop not the vehicle. Apparently they can't understand the phrase...just do the tires!! This way it is all they can do.
I always get my wheels aligned when I get my tires replaced.

I have had many cars with tires replaced. Not once did they open the hood or try to find other things to fix. Of course I never go to a Firestone or similar type chain.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

That place sounds like they practiced on the old ball joint scam - where they'd wiggle your ball joints while the vehicle was on the lift and tell you replacement was needed. If you agreed, they'd pull your ball joint and replace it with the one they took off the last guy that was in with the same model (who also didn't need one). How do I know? From experience long ago :(

matt167

Captain

The best I have ever heard was someone I knew had a mid '70's Ford F100 2wd pickup in one of these places for an inspection ( King pin front end ), and the inspector failed him for bad balljoints and had some obscure price for a part that of course does not exist

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boy am I glad i have a trustworthy shop. I usually do my own work, but was busy and had a clicking in turns on my CRV. Dropped it off and had them check the CV joints. Called me and said it was just a loose lug nut. Said everything under the car looked good. Asked him what I owed him and he said no charge it was just a lug nut.

And for all the DIY'ers, don't think the local auto parts shop house isn't gouging people. I just priced 2 serpentine belts and 3 idler pulleys. Best price was $310 before tax. Same parts online were $181 shipped.And when I say same parts I mean the same. All gates, identical part numbers. Had them in 2 days.

years back I got a flat tire with in 20 yards of a quick fit place so I drove in and asked them to fix the tire. I came back a hour later and they said the tire couldn't be fixed so they replaced it which wasn't a problem they then said that all four shocks were leaking and needed to be replaced. I said I don't think so and straight away they started with the doom and gloom think of the children speech so I agreed and went to the counter where they quoted me about 700 dollars. I asked for the quoted to be printed and said I will be back in a minute. I went and got the receipt for the shocks that had a 2 year guarantee from the same quick fit center and handed it over and said this will cover the cost. Funny as hell to watch them back peddle trying to get out of replacing the shocks. They tried ever trick until I threatened to call the suppliers of the shocks. The manager finally agreed no bill for the new tire plus another tire so both were new on the same axle as a apology for attaching the wrong invoice to my car lol.

TilliamWe

Banned

Rear Brake Service with the same parts as the other places: $212.65
with each rotor costing $30.51

Do work myself:

Rear brake service: $61.02 for two new rotors
Brake parts cleaner: $3
New rear pads: $27.99

Total About $100

1.5 hours total time, including going to the parts store to pick up the rotors/pads/cleaner. This equals much happier me.

As my father always said: "It costs money to go to school."

TilliamWe

Banned

This is why I work on my own cars.

If a CV boot is split, it gets a new/rebuily half shaft. There is as much labor putting on the boot as there is putting a a rebuilt shaft. Hopefully he didn't put on one of those split boots.

You've never tried those boots that are split and can be installed without removing the shaft? If they work, they're only about $16.

matt167

Captain

You've never tried those boots that are split and can be installed without removing the shaft? If they work, they're only about $16.

The only ones that work are the bolt togther ones. The old quick boots that use the glue to melt the halves togther don't work, and I did not know they were still in production until recently.