List Narrowed down from Entry Level Cabin Cruiser

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer
Re: List Narrowed down from Entry Level Cabin Cruiser

The one thing I will say about Larson (based on what I saw when shopping this summer) is the interior looks nice, but seems to be put together sloppy. They would screw into thin fiberglass with no reinforcements where a thru bolt would be better suited. I looked at a brand new Larson where a lot of the screws were stripped/pulled out.​

belleview3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: List Narrowed down from Entry Level Cabin Cruiser

Having just gone through the process of buying a used cruiser, I found two things: Don't go under 26' & get a marine surveyor. I started looking for the 23 - 26' range, partly for trailering and ease. I anticipated buying a salt water rig - the surveyor is like money in the bank rather than down the toilet.

I live in the middle of the US. Boat prices are high in this area and selection is low for a quality boat. I made my way down to souther Florida with cash in-hand and found I could buy a boat for half price. My selections were narrrowed to Sea Ray, Wellcraft, Rinker and Crownline. I still believe the first two are the best choices. I came upon a Wellcraft Martinique that met all of the criteria I was looking for. Cabin size, function, deck layout (love the port side lounger since it allows more than one person in the cockpit area) and a solid ride that surprised me (it rivals my friend's 29'). I have always considered the Sea Ray Sundancer as the standard for small cruisers. The Wellcraft changed my mind. If you haven't closed the deal, check out the Wellcrafts.

Going diesel, great idea. If I didn't love my Volvo 7.4L's power so much, I'd make the swap.
Good hunting. . .