lil whalers

yater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 14' jon and a new 9.8. After a hairy experience in the lake chop, I'm considering something more seaworthy for fishing on the gulf coast (Texas). As a kid, I had a friend with a dauntless 13' whaler (I believe) and was always confident that we'd get home....can't say that much for the aluminum jon in rough water. I'm considering a little whaler or similar now. I know that whalers are worth the extra money but are there any similar boats that I should consider? I'm mainly talking about the 13'er (used)

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: lil whalers

Perhaps a quality rigid inflatable?

gulfcoastfisher1

Seaman Apprentice

boston whaler are the best boats all you have to do is pull the plug when it rains and it wont sink that all i use but older makos are good to

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

13' is way too small for big water as far as I'm concerned. Doesn't matter who made it.<br /><br />Kelly Cook

yater

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I could be more specific...no big water...just inland specs and reds

gulfcoastfisher1

Seaman Apprentice

yeah, that what i use for trout and reds inland works like a dream you would probally have to get a bigger motor though for a 13 whaler i have a 25 on mine they can take a chop one of the only boats i feel safe in

yater

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The 9.8 will stay on the jon boat. I'll be looking for the whole package (used) if I decide on one. Browsing the boattrader, it looks like there are plenty out there. I'd like to find one that's been repowered since, say...the mid 90's. Price range seems to fluctuate from about $2k to $5k depending on year and condition. If I could find something at about $3500-$4k, I'd be happy

lingcod

Petty Officer 2nd Class

13' livingston is by far the best choice for me. I've been out 4 miles offshore in 3-4 foot chop with mine. put a 30hp on it and it'll scoot ya at around 25mph. plus 2 grown men can stand on the same side and pull an 80lb crab pot with no worrys of it flippin.<br /><br />lingcod