Lighting question..

lennyb

Seaman Apprentice
I was thinking about installing led strip lighting in my boat (1987 four winns open bow) to help light up things a little at night (the strips are about 1/8" wide and 1/8" deep so you will never see then once installed). I was wondering has anyone tried these yet? A 12" strip only cost around $10 and it will wire to a switch for operation at night only.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Lighting question..

It's going to be bright as crap and possibly ruin your night vision. Try one first in the dark and see what's it's like. Here is what just 1 Blue LED looks like. I can't imagine white ones.

HPIM1034.jpg

fucawi

Banned

if its too bright then put a resistor in series .I can calculate it for you or just put two in series....you must go red .... black/red ....black

lennyb

Seaman Apprentice

I was going to go with the blue and shine them towards the floors (mount under the dash area's on both sides , two in the rear and one or two in the front bow area). But i agree im gonna try a strip and see how bright they are.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

I use these strips on my boat. They come in a variety of styles, uncovered, weather resistant, and water proof. The water proof ones use an external cover.

These LEDs can be quite bright when connected to 12 volts. However, you can easily cut the strips into shorter segments (usually 3 LEDs per segment). There are pads at each cut point to solder additional wires on. Since the LEDs draw very little current you can use fairly thin wire (24 GA). This makes running the wires very easy.

I generally use one segment as one light. Where I need more light I just use more segments. I have these lights as courtesy lights, lights in storage compartments, to illuminate the boat sump, and to light the engine area (outboard).

The strips are self adhesive, but I usually put a couple of dabs of 4200 on each strip to be sure they stay were I put them.

You can get R-G-B LEDs and a controller that lets you set the color you want. You can also have constant colors or cycling colors in various patterns.

I also replaced the incandescent bulbs in my nav lights with short segments of white LED strips.

Ordered on line, the LED strips are about $8/foot in single quantities. If you order in longer lengths the price is better.

For all the lights on my boat (16') I used less than 2' of LED strip (including the nav lights).

lennyb

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds just like what i want to do. But i actually found these at a parts store and they to can be cut as small as 1 light to a full 12" strip (i think the 12" strip has 8-10 lights in it. I going to do a complete resto on my boat overwinter including making all new harness's and new switch boards and will run these to a swith so i can control when they are on / off...

mherndon

Seaman Apprentice

can someone PLEASE post a link to where I can get these?! I like this idea and have looked at other ones but they were EXPENSIVE!

halfmoa

Ensign

Blue looks pretty but red will spare your night vision.

lennyb

Seaman Apprentice

can someone PLEASE post a link to where I can get these?! I like this idea and have looked at other ones but they were EXPENSIVE!

You can find these at auto zone / walmart or just about any parts store.. they come in 12" strips that can be either cut down or extended..

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

Look here:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...=DispPage&Page2Disp=/light_bars-flexible.html

http://www.ledlightingnet.com/Whole...5.html?zenid=85dff1328b121e556224136235a21d54

http://www.theledlight.com/flexible-ledstrips.html

http://www.ledlightsworld.com/led-s...-c-1_49.html?zenid=ohbnts61vanp7r2aip3jmua445

The last place is where I got mine. The price starts at a $6/foot. Certain options will increase the price/foot.

You are kind of paying by the LED. There are strips with different density of LEDs. The ones with twice as many LEDs/foot are twice as expensive.